Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Site - help it grow!
    Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 9:41pm
Link to the publishing site - which is still evolving of course Smile

Collecting comments/suggestions or critique in here as we go so we can develop it all as far as we want to... Wink
The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one
will do ~ Thomas Jefferson
Galen View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Teacher and Bard

Quote Galen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 1:18am
Well done Jan.  I hope I get more free time to actually participate soon.
Dance like no one's watching!
Saranna View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Saranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 9:08am
I know the feeling Galen, in my case I hope I get some energy back. 
Death comes to all
But great achievements raise a monument
Which shall endure until the sun grows cold.
- George Fabricius, 'In Praise of Georgius Agricola'
Aikari View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
House Cadníssea nú Námorindúrë

Quote Aikari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013 at 4:06pm
Ah hmm looks neat Janowyn. Interesting place to promote something.
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 4:18pm
Headache/migraine #1 - I've b*ggered up setting up the new site. Combust

Everything's still there but I can't work out how to knock out the old LotRDreams domain and replace it with the new DW Publishing one... Hbanger  It's something really, really silly that I'm overlooking somewhere in the set up, but it won't let me amend/overwrite the site name and I can't create a new site because we've only got the two and it's had a hissy fit over the server settings as well.
Am feeling pretty nasty today as well (flu-type) so I'm calling it quits for now and will try again tomorrow. In the meantime we have a luverly holding page to show I cocked it all up... 

Givedam
Nurbor View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Lord of Summer

Quote Nurbor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 7:11pm
Nothing great was built in a day, but they sure do fall quickly, I've been working fiendishly at work on my breaks/lunches with pen and paper.  Though I've been told i may lack a little imagination, nothing like a work in progress!
They lived their belief and if asked they would gladly die for it.Tell me now who in your glorious age holds such a belief? All that lives is born to die we must make the best of the time we are given
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 10:29pm
You lack imagination?!!!!! Jawdrop Pshaw and nonsense hammer
Nurbor View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Lord of Summer

Quote Nurbor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2013 at 11:06pm
To be fair, it could've been my new girlfriend letting loose a little venting on me by being insulting, she was having a really rough day yesterday.  But I always take critiques good with the bad to see if there's any validity to what's being said, and I have been largely procrastinating on some things, however I still feel pretty good about my writings overall.

Some days you just have to roll with the punches, and I've gotten much better at that lately, but living in the South of the USofA everyone's so afraid to tell you anything near the truth so I reckoned I'd check in with other writers and see how they felt about what I've done thus far.  Honesty is always appreciated with me!Approve
They lived their belief and if asked they would gladly die for it.Tell me now who in your glorious age holds such a belief? All that lives is born to die we must make the best of the time we are given
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 2:39pm
Well I think I know where I've gone wrong with the new website but I'm taking a sabbatical today (no pun intended Tongue). When I get it in some semblance of how it needs to be next week, I'll put it up live and get some new contacts I've made elsewhere into the loop and we should have a few new ears and voices around to kickstart the community aspect again, so lots more varied feedback coming in for all of us! what? LOL

Actually there's some very good writers and designers that I've met on LinkedIn so things should get off to a lively start I hope, because we can get the anthology project going again and hopefully next out into the publishing arena (along with Saranna's book back in print again) with lots of avenues for promotion to get some revenue in to start expanding services. Smile

We live in exciting times! roller
Tiana. View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Crazy Gal

Quote Tiana. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 1:23pm
Wow...really fab and loving it Jano. Congrats again on your first publication and I look forward to peekig in and seeing how things are going x
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 12:15pm
'Kay - just made the top post link to the Publishing website really huge...

'cos the DreamWorlds Publishing domain is now LIVE!!!!! 

LotRDreams is still on the website (which hasn't changed at all) but the web address now points at www.dreamworldspub.org.uk/forum/default.asp if you want to get on there and look at any old stuff. Over the next few weeks most of the old static pages (not on the forum - the old support member pages and stuff like that) will disappear so that just the posting areas are left. I'm not sure where LotrRDreams will end up now but it'll remain in use as an archive area in it's own 'sub' domain from now on. Whether that's on the new site or DreamWorlds main site depends on whether I can maintain the integrity of the forum skin.

Techie info:- For the record I didn't actually do anything wrong with the re-pointing - there was something going wrong with the WebWiz DNS server (or other such weasel word thingie) LOL
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 5:54pm
And hot on the heels of the domain opening -

We have a new corporate look for the website to make us look a lot neater and clearer but still quirky and 'special' (in a good way of course! Wink)

I won't be launching DreamWorlds Publishing the website officially until the 31st December (with announcements on LinkedIn (and possibly Facebook if I can be arsed Embarrassed) but anyone interested on the forum is welcome to go have a look see, and post comment in here if you would, in these last days of 2013 as I've only had real feedback from Saranna and Nurbor so far.

Here's a preview of our new logotype!

Aikari View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
House Cadníssea nú Námorindúrë

Quote Aikari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 2:35pm
Janowyn: I haven't been much around, because I dwell on a Harry Potter forum and that appears now as pain in the arse. They are having profiles for all characters, instead one account for everything... but besides that.

But you like to have some feedback here, what have I just to be looking for? If you have a few points, sure I can let my eyes and thoughts wander over it and get it back to you. But I don't know at what sort of viewpoint I have to take.

What is it you like to know?
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 8:45pm
The new website's here Aiks http://www.dreamworldspub.org.uk/home.html and the forum side of it's currently HERE.

It's all to do with getting people's own personal writing (not fan fiction) published, so it covers things like beta reading for work that's still in progress, short stories (the Dreamless Roads project - that might be something you'd like to consider for yourself Wink) and then editorial reviews and typesetting (getting into a file format to go to the printers, or CreateSpace for eReaders). 

At present there won't be too much on the site to promote, but as time goes on and more people come in it'll be a little like the Bard's Guild where people are getting feedback as they go, but also we'll be helping each other finish off longer work to go out to publishing houses or to print on demand sites on a skills barter basis (like Saranna did the editing on my book, so I'll get hers ready to go off to a print and distribution house for reprinting). The idea is that we can bulk buy things like ISBN numbers and help each other get published that way without having to get involved in finding publishers or agents and then share the site to help promote books once they're on Amazon etc. A serious writers community in fact.

What I'd like to know is how clear things are made as to the concept and whether you can navigate easily and find information OK. Also things you'd like/expect to see, suggestions etc. Thumbs Up
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 7:03pm
*bumps* - we're open official-like now of course but this can keep going as our techie crit and development discussion thread!

Post on any thoughts or suggestion for taking DreamWorlds Publishing the site onwards and upwards! Smile
Saranna View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Saranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 10:27am
Well, we could all volunteer to write reviews of Safari for various sites/journals?  I'd want to read my copy through again before I did that, since I want to see it as a proper book instead of a series of bits to proofread, but I could post it in Out of Middle-Earth on the Plaza for a start.
Death comes to all
But great achievements raise a monument
Which shall endure until the sun grows cold.
- George Fabricius, 'In Praise of Georgius Agricola'
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 2:37pm
No problem with waiting on reviews for Safari muin Thumbs Up  I've finally finished getting the e-version spruced for LI to put on their retail feeder but my connection probs means I can't stay online long enough to upload until Weds at earliest (wish I'd gone for it last Friday when it was well-behaved all day but I wasn't quite done tweaking it then Unhappy).

I'm waiting on that to be sorted before I start going gung-ho on the promo side of things as I want links for the Amazon slots for both editions to go on an Omnivore interview for instance - need to maximise sales by offering 2 products. Good news is that I sold 2 copies for full price somewhere in Europe (not via me in other words) so I'm guessing that was probably some kind friends on the TP site so I actually have some kosher revenue coming in already - even 2 sold is exciting! Jawdrop
What I think we could probably do to start with anyway on the site promo side is to offer networking and link exchanges to members' blogs and websites or editorial services so if anyone's up for that then we can certainly get a page up to run that kind of thingie - *goes to start one nowWink
 Post Reply Post Reply