Dream-Worlds Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lifestyles and Pastimes > Publishing the DreamWorlds > The Word Smithy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Writers about Writing...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Writers about Writing...
    Posted: 11 May 2013 at 10:34pm
Writing is the most fun you can have by yourself...
Sir Terry Pratchett

In a post-modern world, all the knowledge we need is out there - some of it is probably true as well.
This is a place where you can share words of wisdom from people whose trade is in words...

There are so many routes to getting books published these days and mesmerising sources of advice on how to get there, but one resource that most of us aspirant writers should not be afraid of going to is straight to the horses mouth as 'twere. Advice from other writers, some of whom are paid for it... Clap

Most prevalent advice on writing by writers is to read voraciously - not one that most of us on here who like jotting down words are averse to naturally! LOL These days a lot of reading can be done online of course but then you know that already of course... Tongue

So, to kick things off this is a blog series I've been following on The Writers and Artists magazine site and I think it's really helpful on the 'official' route to getting published and also on how you see yourself as writing professional. Simon Clark's English but currently lives and works in the US as Staff Writer on the New York International. His first children's book is coming out in the latter part of 2014 but he's had short stories published in various anthologies. Thought I'd pass it on as he's got tons of good advice and encouragement and even though it's mostly fixed on the UK market, the gist is something that must good for the global industry too at least in 'Western' culture...  :D 

Originally posted by Writers& Artists

Simon grew up in the UK before moving to rural Japan to teach English for three years after graduating. From there he moved to New Jersey, USA, where he works as a writer. His first children's book, EREN, is represented by Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency and will be published by Constable & Robinson in Autumn 2014.. He blogs about writing and publishing at http://www.simonpclark.com.
The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one
will do ~ Thomas Jefferson
Saranna View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Saranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 10:24am
The basis of it all is language, of course - the words we write with.

In 1946 (so two years older than me!)  George Orwell published 'Politics and the English language', mainly an objection to poor written English but giving some useful tips.  It's here;

https://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/orwell46.htm

However, in the interests of balance, below is a commentary on it, not so sure that Orwell was 100% right.  Who ever is? (Apart from me Big smile)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jan/17/my-problem-with-george-orwell

It may seem old-fashioned in many ways, but I'm just feeding it in as another aspect of how to get published, which is to write as well as we can.  Even disagreeing with Orwell may be a useful way to think about how each of us is handling our writing skills. 

Death comes to all
But great achievements raise a monument
Which shall endure until the sun grows cold.
- George Fabricius, 'In Praise of Georgius Agricola'
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 6:57pm
*Bumps* More please!
Saranna View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Saranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 3:29pm
Well this hits the spot for me...............

I dwell in Possibility 

BY EMILY DICKINSON
I dwell in Possibility –
A fairer House than Prose –
More numerous of Windows –
Superior – for Doors –

Of Chambers as the Cedars –
Impregnable of eye –
And for an everlasting Roof
The Gambrels of the Sky –

Of Visitors – the fairest –
For Occupation – This –
The spreading wide my narrow Hands
To gather Paradise –
Death comes to all
But great achievements raise a monument
Which shall endure until the sun grows cold.
- George Fabricius, 'In Praise of Georgius Agricola'
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 4:59pm
 Clap
angel7090695001 View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote angel7090695001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2014 at 8:34pm
I like the rhyming style of that poem. 
Louise Findlay
Fantasy Author & Poet
Twitter: @authorlouise
Exclusive Tales: patreon.com/authorlouise
angel7090695001 View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote angel7090695001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2014 at 8:34pm
Whether you traditionally publish or self-publish you have to have the willingness to market your brand and your book. No one is going to do it for you and sales aren't going to magically skyrocket. Publishing more than one book is nearly essential and having the first book in a series free is a great marketing tool.
Louise Findlay
Fantasy Author & Poet
Twitter: @authorlouise
Exclusive Tales: patreon.com/authorlouise
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2014 at 10:51pm
 LOL Can you imagine what might have happened to The Song of Ice and Fire series if George RR Martin hadn't already established himself? He takes so damned loooong with his sequels as well - he must be driving HBO nuts despite all the awards they're picking up! Wink

And I agree - you do have to 'put yourself out there' a lot, although I'd prefer not to have rely overmuch on social networking Confused Still - there are other areas of support and ways to get attention so finding one to suit your schedule, nerve and pocket is possible but most of all you have to persevere and not put too much store on a finiancial return at first - especially if you're writing any kind of fiction as it's such a crowded (and talented) market out there... Type Cat
Galen View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Teacher and Bard

Quote Galen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 1:56pm
I had a friend a few years ago who ignored the entire standard market and starting doing it all on a pay for use website.  She was a prolific writer, so she wrote the first 3 books in the series, then went out and posted the first arc of the story for free in all the usual fiction posting places of the time - a complete story but continued in the other stuff she'd written.  Then she set up a website where that free piece and several other free pieces were available.  Then, if you wanted the rest of the stories, you had to pay and you got your own login and access to the stories and message boards that she responded to personally.  She would occasionally do stand alone pieces from her stories - you know the stuff that you view as background or missing scenes and the like, and they were free, and they fueled folks to want to engage in her stories.  She even had competitions from time to time where she had fans write a stand alone bit with her world and characters and posted them for free for others to enjoy.  She posted one that Jess and I had done.  That was fun, writing in someone elses world with their blessing.  She posted at least 1 new piece every week.  I won't say she got rich but it was her full time job along with going to cons and selling her stuff.  When I lost touch with her, she had herself and a full time artist doing this and the con runs and making a decent living at it.  
Dance like no one's watching!
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 3:13pm
Never been more ways to 'do it' YOUR way Wink

Post Reply Post Reply