Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question HQ
    Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 6:36pm

This is to help keep all our questions in one easily accessible space so we can store comments, ideas and research and 'thought shower' together.

I'll update and add to this post as the questions come in and they'll be numbered in order of receipt so we can refer to them as they're being developed Smile

BLUE= Question GREEN= Answer RED= Wrong/Klaxon
italics = interesting facts

1. (Jason) What colour is Liartes' dragon?
    Answer: Nobody Knows!
    Possible wrong answers: Bronze, Gold, multi-hued (Ninereads), transparent

2. (Jason)  We all know the Disc has 8 seasons, but what is Winter Secundus also known as?
    Answer: Spindlewinter (since at this time the sun rises in the direction of spin)
    Klaxon works: Hogswatch, Backspindlewinter, Alls Fallow, Crueltide

(Jan note - I think we only want 1 main klaxon trigger per question where needed, so with this one Hogswatch is probably the only real howler - because it's a feast day rather than a season)

3. (Sjoerd) I found something interesting about Goblins. this is Pre-Snuff of course Wink according to the DW companion Gnomes and Goblins are interchangeable terms. A Gnome is simply a Goblin living underground and a Goblin is a Gnome coming up for air. 
    Question something like - What's a Goblin in COM/LF? (or something else Tongue)(Jan note - how about According to Twoflower why must the mushroom-dwelling creature they meet be a goblin because he can't be a gnome?)
    Answer(s) - doesn't have a red hat; isn't jolly enough; too dirty; beard's too tatty
    Supposedly everyone has read Snuff and gives a wrong answer
    Tongue)
    (Jan note - The name of the gnome that Rincewind and Twoflower meet in Skund is called Swires... related to Buggy who joins the Watch? roller Also x-ref to Book of Flower Fairies and The Secret Book of Gnomes which was a Book club fave in the 70's)

4. (Sjoerd) Dactylos is the guy who built the Potent Voyager. He built a lot of things and lost something for it (eyes, hand etc...:P). I thought maybe the contestants could match what he built with what he lost :P
    So Potent Voyager : Lost his life
    The Metal Warriors of Pitchiu: Eyes cut out
    Light Dams of the Great Nef: Hamstrung
    Palace of the seven Deserts: Right hand cut off

5. (Sjoerd) Caroc cards, something like what cards are named in the Discworld canon:
    The Star
    The importance of washing the hands
    the dome of the sky
    the pool of night
    Death
    The eight of octograms
    the four of Elephants
    the ace of Turtles
    (possible klaxon if they name the Roundworld tarot cards Tongue)

6. (Sjoerd) Where on the Disc is Chimeria?
    Possibly nobody knows.
    DW companion page 51. Chimeria is now invisible on any map* because it's a
    Brigadoon. Brigadoon are areas which, owing to a localised instability, do not have a continuous existence in one place.
    *Jan Note - Is on the Mappe on the coast between the Sto Plains and Wyrmberg with the Octarine Grass Country behind it Wink
That's all for now f-folks - post as you wish with comments or your own ideas Wink
The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one
will do ~ Thomas Jefferson
Abaddon View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
Angel of the Abyss (Jano counterpart)

Quote Abaddon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 11:01pm
Jan again on another ID - seems to work OK Smile

I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?
Billy View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 8:00pm
Rincewind Dreaming about the Octavo, voices were heard arguing about what came 1st.

The Clearing of the Throat
The Word
Great Egg of the Universe
The Primordial Slime
The Firmament

Answer: It was none of the above but they decided, 'Anyway whatever it was, we remember it distinctly.   

Or earlier in the LF:
Trymon had been reading about the Great Pyramid in Tsort, that its height plus its lengthdivided by half equalled exactly 1.67563 or precisely 1.237.98712567 times the differance between the distance to the Sun and the weight of what.

Answer: A small Orange.

Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 10:07pm
Excellent - cheers Billy Clap
Kin Arad View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Kin Arad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 3:46pm
-What word means 'a thing which may happen but once in' the usable lifetime of a canoe hollowed diligently by axe and fire from the tallest diamondwood tree that grows in the noted diamondwood forests on the lower Slopes of Mount Awayawa, home of the firegods or so it is said.' in Trob?
'Remarkable'

-When is Crueltide? (or give the seasons in order or something along those lines)
Half-year point

Sorry they're not worded very well and I can't think of any Klaxons.
 I have some more questions that I need to sort out then I'll put them on here.

Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 6:22pm
Thanks Kin - the Crueltide one we can tag onto the Spindlewinter question that Jason's posed in some way Wink

I like the Trob translations - there's a whole bit in LF too with literal translations of local names like 'your finger you fool' or 'that's a mountain' or 'have you never seen a river before?' so we can use that in a 'serial' question as well! Thumbs Up
Sjoerd3000 View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Rare jongens, die Romeinen!

Quote Sjoerd3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 6:25pm
What happend to  Tethis the sea-troll? 

He went into the Potent Voyager in CoM, but there is no mention of him in the LF. Since the PV came down in a Lake in Skund it is also possible he now lives there Wink
But it looks like a nobody knows Tongue

And I think Tethis is the only person who survives being "eaten" by the Luggage Wink (When the Luggage catches up with Twoflower and Rincewind just before the launch of the PV he simply steps out of the Luggage)
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 9:02pm
Yes - definite contender for an NK! Smile 

But I think the Luggage might just have kind of scooped him up rather than 'fought' with him like the thieves and brigands that it did 'eat'... LOL Tethis did describe how he'd landed on the Disc after falling off his own world and freezing in deep space but the last we see of him is getting in the PV ahead of Twoflower I think and then he's not mentioned again *rubs hands* - getting some good stuff here Wink
Billy View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 9:15pm
In the Colour of Magic there was a magic sword:

What was it's name and what part did it really want to play.

Answer: Kring -  it really wanted to be a ploughshare.

(this one below may be a bit sneaky Wink )
Also in the Colour of Magic: 

What classic Fantasy series was briefly spoofed featuring the Sinking Land. 

Answer: The Sinking Land is a feature of Nehwon the world of Fritz Leiber and Sword & Sorcerey heroes Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, echoed by the similar duo Bravd and the Weasel.
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Sjoerd3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Jano

Yes - definite contender for an NK! Smile 

Tethis did describe how he'd landed on the Disc after falling off his own world and freezing in deep space but the last we see of him is getting in the PV ahead of Twoflower I think and then he's not mentioned again *rubs hands* - getting some good stuff here Wink

Yup, that's correctTongue
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Billy

In the Colour of Magic there was a magic sword:

What was it's name and what part did it really want to play.

Answer: it really wanted to be a ploughshare.

(this one below may be a bit sneaky Wink )
Also in the Colour of Magic: 

What classic Fantasy series was briefly spoofed featuring the Sinking Land. 

Answer: The Sinking Land is a feature of Nehwon the world of Fritz Leiber and Sword & Sorcerey heroes Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, echoed by the similar duo Bravd and the Weasel.
LOL Ah - Kring! Tongue  I so wanted it to go back to that coal seam for another million years Evil Smile

I like the Fritz Leiber connection which may suit some of the guests - it's good to have some Roundworld stuff thrown in to perhaps trip people up a bit Wink
Jason View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 11:59pm
Question: After taking their pictures how much money would Twoflower give to people 'for their trouble'?
Answer: One quarter-rhinu.
Klaxon: Rhinu.

Question: What is the name of the first dryad Rincewind talks to inside the tree?
Answer: Druellae
Interesting fact:  There are male and female dryads otherwise how would acorns get made.  Male dryads are the colour of walnut husks and females are green with hair like moss.

Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 12:51am
Clap And the females are cleverer! Wink
Jason View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 7:39am
I think on the dryad question we could add and what colour is she? for a bonus point.  This would then lead on to the interesting facts about size, colour and intelligence.
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Sjoerd3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 10:02am
Skund means Your finger you fool and Oolskunrahod means Who is this fool who doses not know what a mountain is. 
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 12:38pm

Originally posted by Jano

Thanks Kin - the Crueltide one we can tag onto the Spindlewinter question that Jason's posed in some way Wink

I like the Trob translations - there's a whole bit in LF too with literal translations of local names like 'your finger you fool' or 'that's a mountain' or 'have you never seen a river before?' so we can use that in a 'serial' question as well! Thumbs Up
Yep that can be tailored into a convo section as well

With the Dryads we could also get into the history side of it to connect into the Temple of Belshamaroth as they were supposed to be extinct (the dryads) but the Temple had held the region in a time stasis so presumably they were also wiped out when the iconograph (the salamander attachments Star) destroyed the Temple Wink

I'm liking how we're coming up with similar lines of questions - I'm on my 2nd reading of both CoM and LF and marking out the passages where we can get a run of questions so if we keep on using this thread as an info dump for now and at the weekend I'll start another where we can start sorting them into themes and a script outline from there. Will also give Chris another nudge over here Wink
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 6:28pm
OK couple of quick hits from me - first from CoM

p.11 footnote on cosmology of Disc
Directions - major are Hubwards & Rimwards; minor are Turnwise (clockwise) & Widdershins (counterclockwise also annotation re Old English meaning)
'Time' - year=800 days; 8 seasons (Jason & Kin's Q's - also p12 on quarter days etc)

p23-25 Trob words (Kin & Sjoerd)

p26 Rhinu exchange rate (pure gold so nobody knows as A-M$ is so debased) - expand on gold being a common metal in Agatean Empire and a klaxon if anyone says that's why it's call the Counterweight Continent - it's because there are large deposits of octiron on that landmass.

p186 What is the most beautiful natural feature on the Edge? Rimbow - also colour of octarine (greenish/yellowish purple depending on where you read it)

p. 189 Ghlen Livid is made from fermented vul nuts, but what is the most unusual property of the vul nut?
It's a re-annual because of a 4 dimensional mutation in their genes so they're harvested the year before they're planted.

p235 What tiny creature does Rincewind find living in the Rimfall? Rimfishers
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 10:11pm
And loads from Light Fantastic -

p13 Olaf Quimby II Patrician of Ankh - Why was creative writing such a dangerous pursuit during his reign? Because it was a criminal offence to make unjustified statements or a literary nature - examples 'a face that launched a thousand ships' should actually look like a bottle of champagne... and 'his mighty steed was as fleet as the wind' qualified if you said it was a calm day, say about Force Three 
- expand/bonus for giving his demise at the hands of disgruntled poet whilst proving that the pen was indeed mightier than sword but 'only if the sword is very small and the pen is very sharp'.

p19 Rincewind's short-lived conversation with a tree in Skund spun the basis of the first tree religion which in time swept the forests of the world.
What was the supposed reward for being an especially good tree and leading a blamelessly clean, decent and upstanding life?
Assurance of a future life after death - BONUS FOR Reincarnation as 5000 rolls of lavatory paper

p21 Plausible Disc Creation myths - multiple answers accepted (x-ref with Billy's Q on the Clearing of the Throat etc Wink)
Creator of the Universe just 'did it'
A complicated process involving the testicles of the Sky God 
or
All due to the totally random accretion of probability particles.

p28-9 Why was it a really bad idea to apply the Dewey Decimal approach of shelving grimoires and magical books all together?
Because more than one or two together might form a critical Black Mass.
Must be a klaxon answer here but I can't think of one atm... Wacko

p30-31 More refs on literal place name meanings (Kin and Sjoerd)
Skund = Your finger you fool
Bonus - What is the translation of Mt. Oolskunrahod? = Who is this fool who does not know what a Mountain is?
Klaxon for either of those - Just a Mountain; I don't know; What?;

p31 - x-ref to Sjoerd 3rd in OP on Swires the Gnome

p.36 - Ultimate Warrior's guide to the Greatest things a man may find in Life - what are they according to the barbarian tribesmen?
Right but Wrong - The crisp horizon of the steppe, the wind in your hair, a fresh horse under you;
the cry of the white eagle in the heights, the fall of snow in the forest, a true arrow in your bow;
Klaxon  - the sight of your enemy slain, the humiliation of his tribe and the lamentation of his women.
And according to Cohen?
Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper

p41 - How early in the morning would you have to get up to put one over ArchChancellor Weatherwax?
You'd have to stay up all night
Expand on opportunities for promotion at UU in the pioneering days

p64 How many signs of the zodiac does the Disc have?
Bonus for names - Wezen the double-headed Kangaroo;
Gahoolie or the Vase of Tulips (of great religious significance whose meaning, alas, was lost)
Mubbo the Hyaena
Okjock the Salesman
The Celestial Parsnip
The Perhaps Gate
The Cow of Heaven
The Two Fat  Cousins
The Flying Moose
The Knotted String
Further Bonus - What was Rincewind's star sign and what kind of people were traditionally associated with it.
The Small Boring Group of Faint Stars - chess board makers; onion-sellers; manufacturers of plaster icons of minor deities; people allergic to pewter

p 115 - expand on running gag of litigious gods and why they weren't paying much attention to the mortal lands just now
Bonuses - getting up a petition against Ice Giants
suing the IG for return of the lawnmower
complaining about the noise the IG were making 

p116 For Trolls, when does the sunset of time occur?
At the beginning of time
Klaxon - the future/the end of time
Why? 
(for a bonus) because they're nocturnal so dawn lies in the future for them.

p164 - Tabernae vagantes - what are they?
Wandering shops
Bonuses - What are popular but wrong theories about their evolution?
Survivors of a Galactic Emporium whose universe had perished who still ply their trade after one last defiant fire sale
The creation of a sympathetic Fate to supply exactly the right thing at the right time.
A clever way to get around the Sunday Closing Acts.
Mega-bonus - p171 What terrible thing did the shopkeeper do to get cursed never to close again?
Sucked his teeth, called the customer 'Squire' and told him there was no demand but to come back tomorrow afternoon - which was early closing day and then he sniggered when he heard the sorcerer hammering on the door.
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Sjoerd3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 10:07am

Moving Pictures:

Who, besides David Jason, had a role both in the Hogfather and The Colour of Magic?

Answer: Stephen Marcus. Banjo in Hogfather and Broadman in Colour of Magic

Possible bonus: Marnix van den Broeke who played Death in Hogfather and Colour of Magic AND mr. Pump in Going Postal (I believe he's the only one who has a role in all three films)

Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 3:07pm
Clap Nice ones Sjoerd!  joke No reason why we shouldn't digress slightly into the Roundworld environment a little Whistle

That's my lot on questions BTW but nothing to stop anyone else posting some more - I'm going to concentrate on 'grouping' them now, doing some research and finding klaxon and nobody knows etc Wink
Billy View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 11:36pm
Sucked his teeth, called the customer 'Squire' and told him there was no demand but to come back tomorrow afternoon - which was early closing day and then he sniggered when he heard the sorcerer hammering on the door.
Mega bonus + 1 You could add what did the sign on the door say.

Closed even for the sale of Necromancer cigarettes.
Billy View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 1:35am
If we are allowed to use the graphic novel of L.F
This might be OK.
In the Discworld Zodiac in the floor there is inserted a picture of Bob, what was the name that was inserted beside him.

Okjock the salesman. 

on page 6 Part II
Billy View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 2:09am
This is a bit of a Red Herring but it does have discworld connotations.
Where do we first meet or hear about Hogswatchnight
Answer: The Dark side of the Sun.
The dread name of Weatherwax
Answer: C.O.M, Galder Weatherwax and for a bonus point what was his title, current Chancelor of UU
 if answered Archchancelor - KLAXTON

only in the film version was he called that.

Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Sjoerd3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 11:29am
Accordibng to the Disc's druids, on what 4 forces depends the balance of the universe?
Charm
Persuasion
Uncertainty
Bloody-mindness

Bonus?: The Sun and the moon are persuaded not to fall down. They don't fly away because of uncertainty.
Charm allows trees to grow. Bloody-mindness keeps them up.

How much magic is 1 Thaum?
1 Thaum is the amount of magic needed to create one small pigeon or 3 normal sized billiard balls

Young wizards discoverd that the Rite of AshkEnte could be performed with what items?
3 small bits of wood and 4cc of mouse blood
(bonus if you manage to summon Death? Tongue)

Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 1:36pm
Another one from Billy -

Page 122 in LF

The Trolls and Rincewind were following Herena when night closed in an Owl hooted Rincewind assumed it was one, what other winged aviators were mentioned.

A Nightingale, a Thrush  and a Bat.

Also - definitely OK for questions on the graphic novels Clap

Billy View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 6:33pm
C.O.M - In the Black Oroogu language, the noun meaning 'cabbage' is.....
Answer: (n'pong) is wrong Klaxon  Black Oroogu has no nouns in it and only one adjective.Evil Smile
What is the Discwold conection to John Milton
Milton was strongly influenced by Pterry's title The Light fantastic and used the phrase at least twice in his poems.
Jason View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 7:37am
Q: Who or what is Ghlen Livid?
A: Ghlen Livid is a fermented vul nut drink freeze-distilled in Bes Pelargic.

Fact: The vul nut is an exceptional type of re-annual plant that could flurish as many as eight years before it was planted.  Drinkers of vul nut wine claimed they could see into the
future which was in the plants past as it were.  Could also talk about their various types of plants ie preannuals, biannuals etc.
Jason View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 9:20am
Oops, I see you already had a question based on this in the annotations of TCOM.

Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 1:01pm
NP Jason Thumbs Up Great minds think alike Wink
Billy View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 9:47pm
Can I put in a general question, if so this one  would come under Cermonies and Feastivals
 The UU being keen on promoting its water sports ie boat race up the river Ankh.
 Because of the nature of the Ankh rowing is tricky except in times of flood.
1# So how is the race carried out and how many student wizards in a team,
2#What is the race called,
3#Where does it start and end
4#What title is bestowed on the winning team.
5# for a bonuspoint what are the winners awarded
1#Chasing each other on foot up the Ankh while carrying a racing skiff and 8 in a team.
2# The BUMPS
3#From the University boathouses to the Brass bridge.
4#Head of the river 
5#Pairs of brown pointy boots to replace the ones destroyed by close contact with the Ankh during the race. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>