Dream-Worlds Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Discworld Dreams > The High Ramtops ~ stuck up some mountain hubwards... > The Witch Heartlands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

It's Circle Time ~ Q&A & night phase thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's Circle Time ~ Q&A & night phase thread
    Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 5:23pm
in Lancre...

Picture courtesy of Google Earth (with a bit of Photoshop fiddling...)

... and down by the Long Man barrows (two small round ones on either side and at the end of the really long one... Tongue) there's mischief afoot because the Queen of the Elves has sent her powerful second in command Lord Lankin on a mission to bring the old Long Man, her King to heel once and for all. Of course this means that the innocent people of Lancre are, as usual, in danger of getting embroiled in the long-standing Faery realm feud and so Granny  Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg must make sure that the elves don't run amok through the countryside.

Usual Werewolf mayhem, but this time there's a twist as one of the killers is on Lancre's side - yes, you heard that right! Nanny is packing heat and Granny is going to have to use her headology double quick to find Lord Lankin, before too many of the locals get caught in the crossfire...

Beware the moss;
Beware the moors;
Beware of Long Lankin!
Be sure the doors are bolted well,
Lest Lankin should creep in!

In English this means that the baddies (the Queen and Lord Lankin) and the Witches have 1 killer and 1 investigator apiece

How it works
The usual setup of one lynching per day phase stands, but this time because 1 of the killers is on the innocents side there could be 2 killings each night phase - exciting, huh? Wink 
Because of the killer 'Nanny cat and Lankin mouse' action, Granny and the Queen are pitted against each other as the blockers, so they're both vulnerable to attack as well! Granny however has one additional advantage in that if she discovers Lord Lankin she can sic Nanny on him, so in this game the innocents protectors will be able to work as a team from the outset for once... Evil Smile 

Usual Gameplay applies

1.  The players post on the thread as ordinary citizens of Lancre (so as yourself, sitting at your PC this very moment, reading this).

People who do not want to play may still join in the guessing game fun as Gawpers - so anyone can  have to have a good nosey, but your posts will not be taken into account as part of the game and you cannot get killed or vote to eliminate/lynch any of the players.  Just be a good rabble and have a good gossip about what’s going on – cheering or booing is welcomed…

2. 4 players will be assigned a special role (this will be done by PM with instructions on how to play that part) – either as one of the killers or one of the investigator/blockers, BUT you are still an ordinary citizen out in the main thread, undercover – in other words nobody else will know who you really with the exception of your partner as revealed in your PM.

The roles are all assigned randomly (names out of a hat) so please do not beg to play a certain role… 

a) If you are a citizen you will not know who anyone else is – you have to figure that out yourselves.

b) If you have a special official role you must not reveal what your secret task or power is (if you have one) unless prompted to do so by the Narrator (Jano)
c) If you are a killer the PM will reveal the identity of your partner witch or elf, so you can discuss tactics with them – please use PM or other non-posting means of doing this as most convenient for you and your buddy.

Again – please remember that you must NOT reveal your secret ID (if you have one) in your posts

3. Starting with a day phase you will all be on the lookout for a likely suspect (or if you are a killer to divert suspicion away from yourself and/or your partner(s)). Each day all players vote for whomever they wish to accuse of being a killer. 

a) You are allowed to change your vote up to THREE times during the day phase if you think you made a mistake (or wish to muddy the waters), or stick to your guns and the person you voted for.

b) Whoever gets the most votes is then lynched and can no longer play an active part in the game (you can be a Gawper then if you like, but you cannot nominate, vote or be killed anymore).  

c) In the event of a tie the Narrator will determine who gets whacked by a coin toss or other appropriate method (this cannot be appealed or challenged).
d) You do not have to vote for anyone if you don't want to, but beware of the conclusions that others may draw from this...

4. The night phase begins when the Narrator declares that no more voting can take place. (a deadline will have been set for this) and confirms the elimination of one of the players (and their secret ID if appropriate). All the players seemingly go home to bed and do not post or communicate in the game thread until the next day phase.
The Narrator then prompts the players allowed to have night-time activity to PM her. Nobody may post in the game thread until the next day phase starts - you have been warned!

a) the killers and their partners decide off-thread who they want to kill (remember they cannot post) and PM the Narrator as this will be (within 24 hours). Both killers must then PM the Narrator with their choice of victim.  

b) Players with blocking powers or tasks will also be asked to PM the Narrator to state whom they wish to be the subjects of their investigation/protection etc 

Once all the special role decisions and actions are over the Narrator then updates the story for the next day by revealing the next victim(s) of the two hunter-killers and any other events that may have happened during the night phase.

5. And so on – with everyone majority voting off one person during the day phase (into safe custody) and the killers selecting one more victim every night phase until we get down to either the citizens imprisoning all the elves (in which case the citizens have won) or the other way when all the citizens are dead – so the elves win.

Sign ups in this thread and then when we have a minimum of 7 players we'll use this one as the night phase chat thread Smile

You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment ~ Henry David Thoreau
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 5:46pm
Me in! Me in!
Blod skal være min endelige prisen!
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 6:42pm
LOL

If you could give the thread linking over on the TP site to here a bump (I put it in the Games forum earlier) hopefully that'll encourage some of that scurvy lot over here too Wink
You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment ~ Henry David Thoreau
Willem View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Willem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 6:55pm
I'm pretty sure one of them turned me into a newt. I want revenge, count me in!
So much to do, so little time!
Doughnut Jimmy View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 7:01pm
I'll play

But one question do Granny and the Queen just protect from an attack or do they question?
The road goes ever on and on
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Jano

LOL

If you could give the thread linking over on the TP site to here a bump (I put it in the Games forum earlier) hopefully that'll encourage some of that scurvy lot over here too Wink

Done!
Sjoerd3000 View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Rare jongens, die Romeinen!

Quote Sjoerd3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 7:25pm
I'm in!Smile
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 8:51pm
Hey there Willem - nice to see you again Wink

DJ - Yep Granny and the Queen are the questioner/protectors looking for their opposite number's killing partner so for instance if Granny chooses to 'protect' Lankin and there's no or only one Nanny (accidental) killing then they know that they've caught an Elf because Lankin won't be able to carry out their hit and the Queen can't do it for him - but of course it could work vice versa as well so both factions are equally handicapped and need to work together to seek and kill, whilst helping or hindering the citizens Wink

With  2 potential hits per night phase this should mean we move more quickly than normal as well Smile
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Willem

I'm pretty sure one of them turned me into a newt. I want revenge, count me in!

Your avatar looks like a pretty scary newt Willem!
SimStars View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote SimStars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 3:28pm
I'm in :)
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Jano

Hey there Willem - nice to see you again Wink

DJ - Yep Granny and the Queen are the questioner/protectors looking for their opposite number's killing partner so for instance if Granny chooses to 'protect' Lankin and there's no or only one Nanny (accidental) killing then they know that they've caught an Elf because Lankin won't be able to carry out their hit and the Queen can't do it for him - but of course it could work vice versa as well so both factions are equally handicapped and need to work together to seek and kill, whilst helping or hindering the citizens Wink

With  2 potential hits per night phase this should mean we move more quickly than normal as well Smile

Thanks Jano, missed this earlier
archerinwood View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote archerinwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 8:54pm
It sounds a bit confusing but I'll give it a go. You advertised it so well I've joined the forum as well.
hey
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 9:14pm
Yay! Archers in on it! Brilliant!Thumbs Up
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 9:31pm
6 players plus Jano as narrator now, nearly there guys! Big smile
archerinwood View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote archerinwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 10:39pm
Do you want me to post an advertisement on each of my other forums?
hey
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 10:50pm
You can if you like Archer - more the merrier! Wink Better make it clear that they have to register to play though Smile

OK -  while we're a-waiting for No. 7 (8 or 9 might be nice... Wink) a little more titillation for ye and do a bit more scene setting on how the good and evil dynamics will pan out... Evil Smile

The Elves

Lord 'Long' Lankin ~ The Queen's favourite Elf-man and one-man serial killer in this game. This tall stylish psychopath will kill every night phase and although he can work with his Queen, he has the final say on who gets elf-shot - in other words he can choose his own target, however miffed his Lady might get with him... Evil Smile

The Queen ~ In this case the Queen will be a 'blocker' and so she will be trying to find the Witches to stop them using their powers to kill or to investigate her or Lord Lankin. In regular Mafia this role is known as a Lady of Negotiable Affection as she keeps the opposition distracted whilst she's 'entertaining' them... Wink

The Witches

Granny Weatherwax ~ In her day job as top Headologist in the Ramtops, or indeed, the Disc, Granny's role in this is known as the 'Psychiatrist' whose task is to render Lord Lankin harmless. Easy Peasy for Lancre's top Witch and so her role is a protective one for the non-killers (including the Queen regrettably) but is only 'investigative' in the absence of a night kill... If she find the murderous Lankin his killing power will be removed for the rest of the game and so leave him vulnerable to targetting by Granny's sidekick...

Nanny Ogg ~ don't be fooled by the earthiest earth mother act - she can be the other type of 'mother' when need arises, and when there are Elves about witches can't afford to put on kid gloves. They get down and dirty! Nanny's role is known as 'the Vigilante', so she's got the ability to go gunning for Lord Lankin at any time. Day or Night! But there's a catch, because witches have to be disciplined naturally. She only gets to kill twice and if she uses one shot during the day she cannot shoot the following night - or vice versa. So think very carefully before you start shooting Nanny and listen to your Granny Wink

Oh - and if Nanny does decide to kill during the day phase, the lynch goes ahead as planned too so be very careful who you're targetting, because you may find you don't get to make all your votes if you pick on the wrong person to kick out of the game... I'm afraid this game is going to be very prickly for everyone! Tongue
Indis View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Indis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 12:00am
I'll play! 
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 12:11am
hehe! Clap No 7 has arrived and we're in business, folks!

OK - I've been setting lures here and there and got a few tickles developing so I'm leaving this open for another day to see who else looks in and we'll start on Weds if that suits?

Because of the possibility of 2 kills a phase plus 1 lynching I'm hoping we can move this one along fairly quickly for a change but if anyone has difficulty getting in at least once a day then let me know and I'll try to tailor in some slippage for you Wink
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 7:03am
Sounds like it'll be complete chaos and confusion, excellent Evil Smile
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 8:48am
LOL
Sneaky Pete View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Sneaky Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 1:28pm
'Tis I, Jano on an unlogged test! LOL

Because there's people over on TP forum who like to play Werewolf, for the duration of this game only, I'm allowing guest posting in this and the game thread (which I'll set up tomorrow) so TP fans can gawp - or even join in properly if they want and get here before noon tomorrow - and have some fun.

ALL - the reason I'm doing this is not just to lure more people on here, but because I'm not going to be running or playing Werewolf on the TP site any more because it takes up a lot of time and effort and TBH there's more scope for the game on here because we have people who like to role play so we can make it more immersive. In other words if I'm playing this game on a forum the way we play it on TP it doesn't give enough fun 'return'.

So this game is the last one I'll run on Dreams that won't include a roleplay element - in future we'll be extending the game into the Tolkien, Celtica and DreamGalaxies forums and you can RP appropriate characters as you like provided you keep the assigned special roles secret as usual (e.g. if this game was being RPed then nobody could openly play Granny, Nanny, the Queen or Lankin Wink)

OK - that's the announcement over. If you've come here via the links on the TP site then you can post using the window at the base of this page and just have to give yourself a temporary user name and type in the CAPTHA code to prove you're not a spambot. Dead You can't start new threads or edit your posts however - to do that you need to register 1st Smile)
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 3:23pm
Sneaky Pete eh? Who are you on the TP thread?
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 3:25pm
'Tis I, Jano on an unlogged test! LOL

Er - JVQ aka Jano on here? Wacko LOL
Oi You! View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Oi You! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 3:40pm
*Waves*  Pick me!  Pick me!  I'll play! XD
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 4:02pm
Welcome Oi You Smile We do a random draw for the special roles so you have a 50% chance of getting 'chosen' - thank you for being our eighnnnnnnnnnn-th person unless someone else sign up before noon tomorrer! More the merrier anyway - the way we play it everyone has fun... Wink
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Sneaky Pete

'Tis I, Jano on an unlogged test! LOL

Did anyone else think "It is I, Leclerc"?
Sjoerd3000 View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Rare jongens, die Romeinen!

Quote Sjoerd3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 6:43pm
Yes!LOL
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 8:07pm
Ditto!LOL
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 8:25pm
Glad its not just me LOL
captainmeme View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote captainmeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 10:15pm
AARRRRGHHHH!!!! I MISSED IT AGAIN!

Ah well. I might just gawp.
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>