Dream-Worlds Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DreamWorld ~ Tolkien's Arda (LOTR and others) > Middle Earth Village
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

There & Back Again ~ On the Trail Trivia Game

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: There & Back Again ~ On the Trail Trivia Game
    Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 10:52pm

There & Back Again ~ On the Trail Trivia
Well we're almost honour-bound to do something or other to do with The Hobbit to get us in the mood for 2012 (assuming that the movie makes it's original screening deadline OK) ~ so as they've just released the cast photo call for the 13 Dwarves
(full glorious 300dpi print quality version available for online download on OneRing.net HERE)

Let's talk Trivia - in Quiz form natch! Wink
 But we'll also have some chat (even lore expositions if you like) as we go and, to bring in the quiz element, anyone who joins in has to pose a riddle or trivia question for the chapter we're currently discussing (this'll be flagged up here in the top post and updated as we go).
Don't worry too much about the format - as we're all going to be the quizmasters the questions don't have to be stinkers unless you want them to be... Wink
Here's some rules to help you along

Rules
1. Everyone participating may ask one riddle or trivia question about persons (animals too), places or objects in or connected to The Hobbit (or the PJmovie in production) per chapter.
2. The riddle or trivia may be of any type and any level of difficulty.
For instance ~
a) a poem style riddle,
b) a Who (or What or Where) am I? (Yes or No answers to guesses until a solution is found),
c) or, a Trivia Question
3. Jano and/or Saranna will step to ref in the event of dispute over answers
4. Have fun with this but try not to stray off-topic too much unless people will really enjoy it! Wink

Currently discussing ~ Chapter 2: Roast Mutton

Map showing the route taken in The Hobbit (black route marking)
Map Credit ~ The Atlas of Tolkien's Middle-Earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Doughnut Jimmy View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 9:01am
All those wonderful beards Jano and you pick the two with hardly any Shocked
The road goes ever on and on
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 10:02am
I like a good moustache, me!
Blod skal være min endelige prisen!
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 5:10pm

Oh, I like bushy beards too but I do like them well clipped around the mouth and not too 'walrusey' on the top lip Wink

Kili's supposed to be young though so he wouldn't have a great big beard yet. Balin's is quite nicely shaped but I think they've made him look a little bit too frail - he's supposed to be the oldest so the white's fine but you can't really get that this was the dwarf who re-took Moria about 25 years later and that he was actually a top general and strategist. He just looks too kindly Confused

Anyway - been having a think about formats and Galen and I have been having a trip down memory archives over on our old stamping ground and some ideas are starting to gel. I said Trivia and we certainly can do this in a quiz style but how does linking it in with a book discussion chapter by chapter as we go sound? What I'm thinking of is a riddles-style approach and everyone who takes part has to ask one riddle per chapter based on the story content and then we move on to the next after we've guessed them all and had enough of a chat about that section? Sound doable? Evil Smile

Just talking to Galen as I type this - it doesn't have to be riddles like Gollum and Bilbo have, just straight Trivia style or a What/Who am I? style or even 20 questions (on one original question) so it's nice and loose and not too difficult to sustain as we're all playing 'Quizitioner' effectively Wink
You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment ~ Henry David Thoreau
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 8:01pm
Sounds possible. Not to say challenging Wink
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 9:19pm
What about us who are not so deeply into the story (but who know the Hobbit at least?) fret fret!
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 9:59pm
I'm guessing that if everyone is setting the questions there'll be a range of difficulty, them with a greater "lore" knowledge can answer each others and the rest of us can set nice easy ones!
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2011 at 10:03pm
Sounds good to  me!
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 12:15am
Well thing is if people can be reading the Hobbit as we go then it'd help you a lot - not obligatory, but really it's as much an opportunity to get reacquainted with the story again. Also let Saranna shine a bit on the lore side of things with any luck, although she'll be off on her hols for part of this but there's not going to be a deadline or anything so we'll just meander along as gently or as vigorously as you like?

We've done a 'riddle' thread before on the old site and it wasn't too hard and with this we can be as broad as you like really and take in the reports on the movie and the 'other part' of the story which isn't covered properly in any of the books except in passing during the 'Council of Elrond' in Book 2 of the Fellowship of the Rings so we can have a little excursion on that as well because it something that is possibly even more exciting for Tolkien fanatics than teh Trilogy since the canon is literal blown wide open on the assault of Dol Guldur which is where Gandalf disappears to whilst Bilbo and the Dwarves are busy getting through Mirkwood and then in Dale... Smile Also Peter Jackson's doing more hands on PR with this now so we can throw that into the discussion side of things too so we have lots to natter about while we're on the trail Wink
You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment ~ Henry David Thoreau
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 10:35am
ok, you've twisted my computer mouse's tail, I'm in!Wink
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 6:24pm
Well - I've amended the top post to set out the format and people can just call in to talk about The Unexpected Party, the 1st chapter as and when they feel like it.

So, to get the ball rolling here's the first 'riddle'

Like the morning mist I can melt away,
Or float on air like a strand of hay.
Blown by the wind or rising to the ceiling
Curled up like a cat or a whirlpool's swirling...?

Mentioned in the first pages of the book this is a piece of scenesetting that's possibly outmoded these days with health crazes but nevertheless it's completely of a piece with the books place in classic childrens fantasy and possibly one of the most recognised starting lines in literature...

Originally posted by JRRT

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

And bang! - you're there straight off, outside Bilbo's lovely smial. Vintage stuff! My only regret is that I didn't read it when I was younger as I came to it after LotR and, at age 11, rather too mature to see that actually it's much more than a fairy tale book for kids. But I was already hooked on Middle Earth, so it didn't matter that I thought I was regressing to something below my lofty reading age, because it doesn't matter how old you are to enjoy this book, does it? Smile

What do other people think? Is this really a story purely aimed at children?
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 6:39pm
Smoke?

I thought it was for children only as I started reading it aged, I don't know, pre teens anyway. It drew me in and I had to get to the end and of course, that led me to LOTHR. And then, as I grew older, It sat on the bookshelf looking pretty! Until this year where I read it again! Still a goodie!
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 6:46pm
Close enough that Lady! LOL 

Smoke rings to be exact - lot of puffing of pipes in that 1st chapter Wink.

I think one of the greatest delights of the Hobbit is that's it's great to read out loud - something I regrettably never got to do except to my sisters as I don't have kids of my own. There's something very attractive it and I think it's because it's not really speaking to any particular age or maybe not talking down (too much)?
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 7:06pm
Peace, contentment
Surrounded by stone.
Pleasure, joy and nods of many
and yet, people within?

Confused? Maybe. maybe not. Took me ages!Geek
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 8:50pm
Yes  I'm confused Dagrun, will have to think about that one

Question - how many colours of Dwarf's hoods are mentioned? (and I don't think the photo at the top will help much LOL)

I first read the Hobbit fairly young (in fact I think it was probably read to us), and enjoyed it then as a children's book, it definitely stands re-reading because it is well written and the words flow. As an adult its a fun exploration of the lands and decent escapist fantasy, I can't decide wether its primarily a children's book or not, that may have to wait for later in the discussion.
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 10:08pm
I just knew those hoods would come into it! LOL Don't have the book to hand just now so will come back to that one - as for Daggers conundrum! Jawdrop
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 10:11pm
Well, I didn't want to make it too easy just not too flowery...... there is a clue in there......
Saranna View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Saranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 3:44pm
(Just as well I spotted this before me hols.  Will attempt to shine Sunrather than rain!)

Rain Cloud 

"The value of life lives not in the length of days, but in the use we make of them." - Michel Eyquem de Montaigne
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 9:08pm
Ok since no one seems to be getting anywhere with Meerkat's riddle its time to start guessing...

Is it the Hill?
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 8:28am
no, a lot more ...intimate... than a hill
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 12:27pm
Is it the Dwarf city inside the Lonely Mountain?
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 1:09pm
No. It's a small patch of somewhere around a Hobbit habitat that Sam Gangee knows.

Nodding heads need not be human/hobbit heads.....
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 6:52pm
Given that the hints have been flowers and Sam Gamgee I'm going to try Garden? Presumably a stone walled one, not sure about "and yet, people within" though... Confused

On a seperate subject, is this the only time in the book that the Dwarves play their instruments, and do elves play such a range of instruments or is that a difference between them?
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 7:02pm
Yay! Well done DJ!
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 7:52pm
Good riddle! I'm just glad I wasn't going to get eaten for guessing wrong LOL
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 8:49pm
Why would you get eaten?Whistle
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 8:50pm
LOL Well done! Clap

The Elves were 'Firstborn' of the sentient peoples and so they had a head start and were well-endowed in all the arts, so you can take it as read that yes, they had similar instruments and excelled in playing them. Tongue

I'm not absolutely sure but I think this is the only time we see the instruments - they lost a load of supplies and belongings in the next chapter where they're fording a river in the Trollshaws... do we want to move on yet? Wink
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Dagrun

Why would you get eaten?Whistle

Wasn't that what Golum was going to do to Bilbo if he lost?

I'm happy to move on Jano, just need to read the next chapter.

Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 9:19pm

I thought you meant the Werewolf thingy?
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 9:37pm
Ah, hope you didn't give yourself away then Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>