Dream-Worlds Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lifestyles and Pastimes > Movies, TV and Visual Entertainment Media
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Winter is Coming - A Game of Thrones on TV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ceregorn View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ceregorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter is Coming - A Game of Thrones on TV
    Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 2:59am
This being a forum filled with fantasy lovers, I'd be very surprised indeed if we don't have a few fans of George R.R. Martin's rather brilliant series of novels A Song of Ice and Fire. With that in mind, I thought I'd post a bit of news about the television adaptation of the first novel in the series, A Game of Thrones.

It will premier on the 17th of April on HBO for cable subrscribers in the USA and on the 18th of April on Sky Atlantic for Sky subscribers in the UK. I'm sorry, but I don't know any dates for the rest of Europe or Asia at this moment.

Here's the main page with a brief plot outline for the uninitiated: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/

Full details of the cast can be found here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/fullcredits#cast

Some promotional photos can be found here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/mediaindex

Finally, because I'm sure there's more than woman on the forum who'll go all melty because of it, here's a trailer with lots of Sean Bean.

I can't speak for anyone else, but being a big fan of Martin's work and a big fan of HBO's approach to making TV drama, I'm very much looking forward to this and quite excited about its arrival.

Winter is Coming!
Doughnut Jimmy View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 7:26am
Awesome!

Who knows when I'll get to see it being to stingy to have a sky subscription but I'll look out for it.
The road goes ever on and on
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 7:46am
I don't have sky either. But they do tend to get them out onto DVD pretty quick however.
Blod skal være min endelige prisen!
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 12:21pm
I know 2 people who are nuts about this and great RPers as well (Aigronding and Miah) - could be just the thing to lure them back in with... Evil Smile
The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one
will do ~ Thomas Jefferson
Quatermass View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Quatermass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 2:08am
Okay, I'm here to stir things up a little.

Great show, it was. Game of Thrones was an excellent adaptation of an excellent novel. Just watched the first season on DVD. Have a few complaints, like how they made Lysa Arryn more overtly nutty than in the first book, and that Tyrion didn't get a chance to shine in battle like he did in the book. Maybe they couldn't find a stunt actor for Peter Dinklage, and someone pointed out that it could have been sheer budget problems, showing a full-scale battle.
THE UNHOLY TRINITY OF ALIEN INVASIONS:
WE GO TO THEM.
THEY COME TO US.
THEY WERE ALWAYS HERE.
Aikari View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
House Cadníssea nú Námorindúrë

Quote Aikari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 8:17pm
Ugh, I have seen one part, never another again. rant
Fuin Elda View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Fuin Elda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 10:48am
I personally did not mind the show in comparison to the books... it took me three goes to get through all the incesty details of book one (LOVED the rest of it though)

Very excited for the upcoming season starting April 6th... Love the dragons in this show and now they are getting to be quite the dangerous size.
I'm looking at you through the glass
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 4:03pm
 LOL I think comparisons between Martin and Tolkien are deeper than having 2 middle names that begin with an 'R'...  They're both great writers in terms of their era and as for the incest - well Turin/Niënor and Maeglin/Idril and all the naughties in his adaptation of Arthurian myth?

I'm gradually reading the rest of the SoI&F series (previously to the HBO series starting I'd only read Bk 1) and I think, as usual, that the books are better than the visualisation in terms of contextual tone for all the more outrageous instances in the plotline, but the casting and adaptation is nonetheless very well done - and Pete Dinklage rocks to the foundationsof Westeros! LOL Also can't wait for the 6th Tongue
Fuin Elda View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Fuin Elda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 5:10pm
Turin/Nienor Maeglin/Idril  were far less descriptive in their details of the actual act.

But yes Martin is quite the writer, and the plot line is quite outrageous in places in the books that really wouldn't have translated that well into TV (or movie for that matter)  I have to agree with waiting for the 6th book.
I'm looking at you through the glass
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 5:13pm
I meant April 6th but yes the 6th book as well Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply