Dream-Worlds Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DreamWorld ~ Tolkien's Arda (LOTR and others) > Realms of Men > Gondor
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGondors Charity Auction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kris View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gondors Charity Auction
    Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 7:49pm
Two more bidders! First the crooked eyed, funny accented man who made the insulting bid at first(Pel) and then the elven lady again! What insulence, but Faramir was sure to put an end to it. He was convinced he, and only he, could provide this fair maiden the evening of a lifetime. Standing up from his seat, he gazed upon her and it made him wonder of all the things behind her beautifull face and curvacious body. Two-hundred and fifty gold coins! He said, before bowing slightly to Miah, on stage. And let that be the end of it.
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 10:21pm
Pelmor of Thurdz Province Harad

Pel was on his feet and had his mouth open and ready to hike the bidding up even more when his sister Petulana appeared in the wings. She looked like a furious avenging angel, pulling her finger viciously across her throat and making the demon mark at Pel... The desert man knew his sister's record on fulfilling threats and didn't need to hear her curse to know he was a dead man walking if he made another bid. Slowly he sat down, his face a picture of frustration. There would after all be other people to bid for later on - or not, as the case might be...

Glorfindel - Balrog slayer of Gondolin

"Tell me about the most terrible adventure you have ever undertaken!"
Not a good question to ask of him as most Eldar would have known... but these ladies were not Elves of Eriador he reminded himself, and this young elleth perhaps had been imbibing very well but not wisely. He smiled genially at Gwen and came to a decision which perhaps might be a kinder of way of letting her not get quite so carried away over what their evening could be.

"Are you sure this is the night to talk of terrible adventures, Gwen?" He laughed softly and poured more wine for all of them, thinking how to phrase his reply. "But I have said that I am yours to command... I am horribly old and so I have had plenty of time to have many terrible adventures, some of which may sound glorious and noble... I could ask Janowyn over there to tell of my most famous deeds and make a far better account of it than I - but she has other obligations tonight so..." If either elleth wished to stop him now they were too late, for his eyes were unfocussed and lost in the far past, his voice filled with conflicting feelings of pride and honour, but most of all, undying sorrow and regret... 

"The most terrible adventure for me, yea and many others of the Noldor, was the crossing of the grinding ice - Helcaraxë. Before the first rising of the Moon and the Sun, though we witnessed those as we made the dreadful journey. We were Exiles then, cursed for wanting swift reckoning for the murder of our greatest king Finwë and the awful pledges of vengeance and undying enmity that his eldest son Fëanor made with his half-brothers Fingolfin and Finarfin. The honour of our endeavour soon lost the glow of fervour as it became apparent that Fëanor was unhinged with hatred, grief and anger. Both Fingolfin - my liege lord and his brother Finarfin tried their best to restrain him and his sons and followers but to no avail. They fell upon Alqualondë and killed our Telerí kinsmen without mercy or compunction - and all we could do was stand and watch the carnage as cousin killed cousin and Fëanor ordered the burning of all the ships save those they wished to sail over to the Hither Shores. All so they could confront the Great Thief as soon as may be..."

So long ago and still it held horror for him, though it was seven thousand years or more ago. He was mute for a time, gazing into his goblet, but he had started the tale now - it was something that should told of every so often, and there were few  enough left here in Middle Earth who could tell the story as someone who been there...
"I was young and with some of my family and many of my friends. We mourned our king and the loss of the Two Trees as well as the theft of the Silmarils and bitterly desired vengeance on the Bauglir (the tyrant/oppressor). This sustained us at first, as we turned north after Fëanor had stranded us in Aman, but Finarfin was filled with sorrow and remorse at what had happened in Alqualondë and he could not go on, for his wife was a princess of the Telerí and was deep in grief at the vicious slaughtering of her people. They left the host of the Noldor, though their children stayed and Fingolfin took on the mantle of High King of the Exiled Noldor who thereafter did not happily hold to allegiance with Fëanor or later, his sons...."

"... but we held to our oaths of vengeance for great Finwë and so we continued, despite the bitter cold, always with the Great Sea to our right as we made the long trek east back to Beleriand... So many died, blood frozen from the biting of the winds. I saw a kinswoman slip and fall off a floe of palest green ice into the sea... followed by her son and her husband who tried in vain to stop her being pulled out by the current. I fought with someone who held me back from following her men, but we stayed watching the three of them... The son seeing both his parents succumb to the even greater freezing of the waters and fall below the waves, finally turned back and we hauled him back onto the ice, gave him our cloaks and tried to warm him as best we could... all in vain. And so many others who perished in that cold sorrowful place. Enough of us were lucky to survive and even to hold to our oaths, but no one who made that journey could ever forget the price Fëanor made us pay in his insane and hubristic grief. Our crusade was cursed in the madness of Alqualondë and frozen onto our hearts as we left the Grinding Ice behind and began our long and bitter strife. All else pales in comparison for those who survived the crossing."
The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one
will do ~ Thomas Jefferson
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 10:34pm
Gwen sighed, ' how tragic! I have always wanted to meet a true hero.'  She gently placed her hand on his. 'If I could make it all better for you, I would. Did Janowyn also suffer? You and she appear ... quite close!" He voice held a hint of regret. 

VERDLAYGWEN finished counting her money. So, she had enough to bid for someone else. She wondered who was up next. 
Blod skal være min endelige prisen!
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 11:09pm

Fin laughed warmly at Gwen's question about Jano
"Ah! But Silen - the handsome dark-haired ellon over there, sitting with my bald-headed friend the Sergeant (Telly) is closer yet to Jano. I am simply a very good, older and wiser friend she has cunningly pursuaded into taking her father's place at her forthcoming nuptials! If you ever come north to Rivendell you must come to the Hall of Fire and listen to her tales and songs - she is only 250 years old but I would swear at times that she had walked beside me on the grinding ice... or on the encircling mountains as Gondolin was lost forever..."

Again he fell silent and looked at Gwen's hand still on his. As he gently moved his hand away from hers he shook his golden head "And I have lived through many times of heroes - I am but one of many who fought well and bravely, but not all survived to tell the tale this side of Valinor. And there is solace in memory, especially when it is told or sung by a fine bard and Jano is one of our best. If Silen had not already captured her heart things might havestood differently - but then I could not be here with you enjoying this night. There are always - compensations!"
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 12:34am
Gwen sighed, "Then, as I have brought you, would you mind if I just drowned in your blue eyes for a while?" And she blushed very prettily. "I just have a fascination with blond blue eyed males!" She ignored her cousins long suffering sigh and smiled. "I shall tell you a secret, my cousin is not so romantic as I am. Isn't that a shame?"

Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 11:33pm
"Aye Gwen, it is indeed a shame - but then again there is a time and place for romance."
He smiled at her rather ruefully as she gazed at him.
"When you do find your love it is wonderful, but I never seemed to find mine somehow. Always something that I was needed for or wanted to see through. Take Silen for example - he is 3000 years old and had despaired of finding a life partner then, one day, on a whim, he decides to visit his twin brother in Rivendell and there he finds the lovely Jano who had lived alone for decades down here in the Southlands and had come north two summers before - he walks into the Bard's Tavern to greet his brother - who introduces them to each other and they both of them were mesmerised from then on... Of course it only took Jano a few hours or so to start her chattering again, but I do not think they'have been apart for more than a day ever since!"

He laughed at himself again  "I am just an old warhorse who likes things nice and simple - enemy - find - kill - ride home - guard the pilgrims on their way to the havens - tour the perimeters - check the defences!" The waiters were hovering again and he beckoned one over and carried on talking. "
"Not a great life for a wife to have her spouse hardly ever home for more a few days or so and then off for months or even years at a time is it...?"
The waiter approached and he broke off smiling widely at both elleths
"Now! Would you ladies like some more wine - or mead perhaps? I'm sure that they must have some!"
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 9:14am
Daly smiled as she leant a little across the table, " I understand, Lord Fin, but I think you may misunderstood my cousin! She has a good heart and meant little else than sympathy at your loss! I know her very well! Gwen is a gentle hearted soul, - if not a little tipsy this evening! And she is rather in awe of you - as you can see by those wide eyes!" Daly laughed a tinkling laugh. "She has yet to enjoy the Lady Jano's luck! We are only 200 years old. We can wait! Would you believe she was sent here by my uncle to watch over ME?" She laughed her tinkling laugh again. "Gwen, say something!"
"I like mead! I am sorry, I just thought - " the reasoning was better left unsaid. Her rediculous behaviour had been covered by her cousin yet again. "Have you tried these nibbles? They are rather good!"
Miah View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 5:30pm
Looking out from the stage with a winning smile and pose that would stop a charging Mumak, Miah captured the glances of many a man that would gaze in wild wonder at the joy that they have found. The bidding began with seventy gold coins from a questionably looking man that gave a most ingratiating smile. She wasn’t sure what to think of him, but it wasn’t long before another bidder yelled out a higher price.

Eighty-five golden coins!
"100 gold coins!" 
"One hundred and fifty gold coins"
"One hundred and sixty gold coins!"

Miah gasped. Perhaps the new healer was more than she appeared to be after all! Could this really be happening? Her cheeks reddened and she could not help but let out a small laugh at how pleasantly shocked she was. She turned to Verdlaygwen and gave her a kind smile and curtsy of appreciation for her surprising bid. Then, just as she began to think there would be no more she heard another voice ring out across the hall, Two-hundred and fifty gold coins!”

Oh! there was that voice again! It sounded so familiar to her, but could it really be? She turned, partly knowing and partly wishing until...their eyes met. She sighed, and felt the warm rushing feeling that comes before one is going to faint. Faramir then walked up to the stage and bowed before her.

And let that be the end of it.

Her heart leapt up into her throat and her knees felt weak. Oh how she waited for this night with eager anticipation! Finally! The handsome Captain of Gondor was hers!...or she was his, either way she was a winner! Enchanted by his mere presence, Miah offered her hand to him so that he might help her down the stairs and lead her away. Meanwhile, the smile on her face would take centuries to fade away….
Kris View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 12:54am
Tarindo blinked at the high prices with which  the new auctionee was met. Obviously, it was no surprise that Miah, the most eligable lady in Gondor, fetched such prices, but it did all happen quite fast so that the MC hardly had time to recognise the bids at all, let alone do some talking of his own between all the people trying to outbid eachother. The elven lady(Daly), the southron man(Pel) and Captain Faramir all fought over the prize and in the end, Tarindo could not help but gasp at the royal fortune of 250 golden coins that he was prepared to pay. The Stewards coffers would be well filled indeed tomorrow. As no more bids came to answer and Faramir had already practically fetched Miah from the stage, the young soldier finally raised his voice, saying: Sold...To Captain Faramir for 250 golden coins! I wish you the best of times.

It was with a slight ake in his heart he watched her go off, but Tarindo knew she could be in no better hands. Moving swiftly on now, it was time to continue the evening and announce the next person to be bid for. Well well, ladies and gentlemen! That was quite the show of generosity I must say. But for those who did not get what they wanted, I assure you, theres more. Our next auctionee is one for the ladies again, his name is Eridor and he is a man of the north. A real live ranger born in the elven port of Mithlond. A gem of a man he is, Tarindo mentioned enthousiasticaly, even though he had never met this one in his life. And a veteran whos years have brought him wisdom instead of age. Courageous, kind, intelligent and very friendly to those lovely ladies he protects, not a knight but most certainly noble. And here he is! He announced, raising his right hand to gesture where Eridor would pass through the curtain. After giving him time to walk the catwalk, he continued. His passions in life are helping others, horse-back riding and hunting...Ladies and gentlemen, the bidding will start at eighty golden coins!

Faramir

The MC appointed Miah as his prize for the night, but Faramir could no longer hear. As she smiled, he felt lighter and when she put out her hand, he raised his to meet it and gently helped her off the stage, smiling all the way through. Standing face to face with her, he now raised her hand and kissed it. Hello...My name is Faramir. He said, after which he fell silent for a moment. All he did now was watch, listen and take in the look in her eyes. Quickly he turned around to pick up his coat from his chair and drape it on his right shoulder. The captain offered his date his hand. Shall we leave and go? Somewhere you and I can get to know eachother? Faramir felt odd, like somehow he knew this was not going to be any ordinary night...and she knew it too, he could tell as the smile on her lips and in her eyes converted his own.
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 8:56am
Verdalygwen smiled as Eridor walked onto the catwalk. Rather rugged and not like the lord sitting beside her cousin. "One hundred gold coins!"
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 6:44pm
Fin smiled at Gwen as Daly turned back to look for another bidding opportunity as a Ranger called Eridor appeared on the runway. "I always think of mead as a wonderful aid to getting to know someone better. Small sweet sips to be savoured slowly, not consumed so rapidly as ale, nor as absently as wine, especially if one is used to taking it daily and eating at the same time. Conversation seems to go more pleasantly with mead I find..."

Backstage ~ Petulana of Thurdz Province, Harad
She gestured wildly at her brother sitting in the hall looking around like some half-witted old woman. Finally he saw her and smiled lazily at her. Petulana's sharp green eyes narrowed poisonously as she realised he was deliberately trying to annoy her. "Bid for this one imbecile!" She mouthed at Pel "And make sure you get him this time!"
Pel nodded absent-mindedly and put his hand up slowly - to summon a serving girl...
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 7:23pm
Daly felt her heart flutter as a man sitting by them looked to bid but inbstead hailed a waitress. Her luck would not hold out surely to get a catch like this Northern  man? Rugged and rather handsome! She laughed gently into her mead as she sipped it genteely. As if someone as ordinary as herself would get such a wonderful catch. There are rich women out there. Oh what ever happened happened! Eridor, a rather nice name too! She laughed as the thought she may well be smitten crossed her mind!

Gwen sipped her mead. This was far superior to that at home, but home needed praising and what she would say wasn't a lie. "My mother makes the best mead cakes in the Middle Earth, my Lord!"
Eridor View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 10:49pm
Standing out in the center of the catwalk Eridor watched as all eyes were turned towards him. He could hear the MC speak of his profession, what kind of person he was. He swallowed the large lump in this throat when he waited for the MC to announce the beginning of the bidding. He hadn't been much for this sort of stuff, but so far the night had been fun and entertaining...but now it was his turn.

"the bidding will start at 80 gold coins." The words reached Eridor's ears and he did all he could to help from his mouth dropping in aw. *80 gold coins...we're starting at 80?! I didn't even think I would reach a bid that high.* He thought to himself now wanting to laugh that he thought so lowly of himself in this type of activity. Before he could continue his thoughts though, he soon heard a women call out a bit back in the crowd. "100 gold coins." He was surprised to see the bidding so high, but he was glad that the stewards would receive a good profit out of the nights event. Finally he did another circle to allow the men and women to see before standing back a few steps to allow the bidding to continue.
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 6:13am
Pel was laughing to himself, but started to get funny looks from some of the other people. However, he kept right on because nobody else could see the tantrum Petulana was throwing in the wings - in fact she was flapping her arms around so much he wouldn't have been too surprised if she'd managed to get a couple of feet off the ground...

But... it was a very long way way back to Thurdz so he thought he'd better show willing at least - 101 gold coins!
Miah View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 5:13pm
For a brief moment Miah was lost for words when Faramir introduced himself and kissed her hand so tenderly. She just knew she was going to have the most memorable evening. The ‘come hither’ look in his eyes, the smooth as silk voice to her ears and the tender soft touch of his hand told her as much. It wouldn’t be so obvious how delighted she was if she could only wipe the permanent smile off her face. It didn’t matter though. She wanted him to know how interested she was in him.
“My lord,” she started as she curtsied before him. “I am honoured to be in your company this night, truly.”

He then picked up his cloak from the chair and offered her his hand again. “Shall we leave and go? Somewhere you and I can get to know each other?”

Oh that would be wonderful…so very wonderful… thought Miah as she gave him a definite nod. She imagined leaning into him for an embrace but resisted the urge. No, not yet…“Oh, I would like that very much m’lord, thank you.” She said, glancing up at him with twinkling eyes. She put her hand in his to seal the deal and envisioned the places he might take her for she had no doubt that he had something planned.

Marcie could hardly believe her eyes when she saw the handsome ranger she pined over up on the stage offering himself for sale. “Oh…my….ga…ga…Eridor! nooooo! No one can have him!”  She turned quickly in her chair and looked hard at every one of the ladies at her table. “Alright ladies, this is our man right here! We must have enough for him, surely!”

“But he’s already up to one hundred and one gold coins!” cried Lothwen, throwing her hands up in the air in exasperation. But it didn't even seem to matter to Marcie. Furiously she began counting the gold coins they had all collected. While she was counting some of the older ladies remarked about the outrageous prices.

“Why can’t we just go down to the marketplace? There are plenty of men there. One hundred gold pieces for one evening seems ridiculous to me. Why, I could buy a whole farm for that!”

“We’re not here to have just anyone.” Martha put in quickly with a roll of her eyes.

“Aye, we are here to raise money for the Steward so that later we can ask him to give it all to us! Haha!” laughed Lothwen.

“And what is so special about this one?”

“Special? Special?!” Marcie was outraged at the preposterous remark. Besides that she lost count of the money. “He’s darn special! And he’s going to be mine!...er.. I mean ours! Yes, ours and we can get plenty of good use out of him if we just keep…calm…now where was I?” she said, glancing back down at the pile of coins.

Some of the other ladies snickered in their drinks while Martha started counting the coins again, but Marcie couldn’t wait, she was starting to become desperate so she stood up and called out, “One hundred and ten gold coins!”
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 9:56pm
LOL Pel was chuckling away to himself at the flurry on the lady healers table and the sour look the elven lady's face...

One hundred and eleven gold coins and not a penny piece more!
He folded his arms and steadfastly looked in any direction but the stage where his sister was having apoplexy...
Kris View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 11:18pm

Fortune was on his side tonight so far. Lady Miah took his hand and made him smile thus. Bidding, arguïng and planning still went on in the room around them, but to Faramir they might aswell have been the only two people in the city. The captain was afraid to get caught staring and be judged weird by the beauty at his side, so he sneaked looks at her. The ladies forehead came to his eyes...The perfect height for a kiss later on, perhaps. But! It was still too soon to think of such things and Faramir was a patient man. Opening the door of the hall for her and guiding his date through.

Once through, the moon shone bright, being full. It was not lonely either, as it was kept company by Varda's stars. Faramir greeted them with a glance, before he turned it back to Miah and blinked. Mylady...He said softly. Your eyes shimmer in the dark. His smile answered their brightness, the man knew that tonight he had encountered a gem. Come. He said while leading her away from that place. Holding her tighter now in the shadows of the buildings, the stewards son could not find words to speak. So he hoped she would and give him the opportunity to listen to her thoughts aswell as the sound of her voice. Yet, he did not want to risk seeming uninterested. Were you nervous before going onstage mylady?

As they walked, Faramir lead her towards the outer walls and shortly, they got to a staircase. Would you grant me a wish, Lady Miah? He asked, looking at the ground quickly before raising his eyes to meet hers. I've always wanted to walk the battlements in the moonlight, accompanied by a lady like yourself. The staircase was lit by torches and windows. He took advantage of the moment they stood still, to caress her hands with his fingers. Her skin was so soft, any man would voluntarily become sick if they got to be taken care of by her.
Eridor View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 7:38pm
Eridor couldn't help but laugh at the last bid her heard come from a man who wagered a single coin more than the previous bid that a group of women had made. *Cheap fool!* He thought to himself sighing. *He probably isn't even the one who wants the prize, likely he is a butler of some sort for some mistress in a region of Gondor.* He thought to himself laughing and hoping that he was right. He would find it very odd for another man to be bidding for him. Waiting patiently for anymore bidding to happen, Eridor glanced around the room getting a good look at each bidder to see where he could be going off to. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123