Dream-Worlds Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lifestyles and Pastimes > Publishing the DreamWorlds > The Word Smithy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

The Word Smithy; editorial services etc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Word Smithy; editorial services etc
    Posted: 16 Apr 2009 at 11:26pm

Editorial Services

This is the place to come with your writings for editing, proof-reading or reviews on or off thread. We'll happily discuss development for plotlines, dialogue, character development etc with you and give general support to writers with all levels of experience. In time we could eventually run workshops and mentoring threads in here if the need arises.

Please post in here stating what you want help with - we can work with you in a variety of ways  and offer the option (especially if the work is a longer piece) to go to PM / email / IM to discuss what is needed, so this thread works more rather like a liaison/helpdesk and longer or inter-personal assessments can be done elsewhere on DreamWorlds or off-site altogether as needed.

If your work is pitched more to an adult readership (anything beyond PG13/12 if it were a movie) we can work with you, but please use the adult forum for posting excerpts or links please Smile
You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment ~ Henry David Thoreau
Galen View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Teacher and Bard

Quote Galen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 7:38pm
I do like it...*grins*  I remember this area and it was a really helpful place to have for writers.  It would be a good place to get Saranna back into dreams with.
Sivan Ilius View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer
Darkest of the Dark Lord's Minions

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 1:58pm
Haha! I think it's an excellent idea-- that's usually what I end up doing anyway =D
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 5:19pm
Good to see you in here Sivan - we've got a potentially very strong and active writer community on here (Saranna is a published author) and this is where we all can hang out and play with each other's work Tongue

This will be a general fiction kind of writing area rather than fanfic so you can still post ME stuff over in the ME forum and other sorts in the appropriate forum when those start to grow (Star Wars or Harry POtter maybe) but this will be for more free-roaming and original writers - I'm really excited about how this area might turn out! Wink
You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment ~ Henry David Thoreau
Dinelleth View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer
Thranduil's daughter in law!

Quote Dinelleth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 5:35pm

At last  a home for my Josephine/Joe story. Smile

DrWho7Freak View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Time Traveller - Orc Forgiver

Quote DrWho7Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Jano

- we've got a potentially very strong and active writer community on here (Saranna is a published author) and this is where we all can hang out and play with each other's work Tongue

No way am I showing my stuff to a published author - that's way too scary!Confused
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 12:30am
Worry not Zaphira - Saranna's a lovely lady and wasn't too hard on my 'masterpiece' so I'm sure she'll be very gentle with you. If not I'll spike her pasty with cayenne next time we meet up for a natter Tongue
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote DrWho7Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2009 at 10:30pm
Hmm ... well ... okay *looks around room chewing lower lip!* if she does - can you also put a pinch of chilli powder on it too?
Galen View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Teacher and Bard

Quote Galen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 12:55am
There are few people LESS scary than Saranna, in person or online. She's a jewel...worry not.
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 2:46pm

Wait, wait, wait...what has she published?

Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 3:09pm
HERE

Saranna - when we get going you could put Perian on show in the Marketplace Wink
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 8:08pm
Hmmm...absolutely nothing's telling me what it's about. I'm considering bothering her with a PM to ask.
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 8:43pm
Well's it a mythopoeic* fantasy set in a world called Skorn and has wizards and enchantresses in it (I'm still reading it so that's about it save to say it's partly a 'finding yourself' type Quest).

* This is a term coined by Tolkien and CS Lewis and you can look it up yourself on Wiki Wink
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote DrWho7Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 11:21pm
They could muck around with the english language and get away with it as they were Oxford Dons.

Her story sounds interesting please poke Saranna to get it on here, Jan!
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 11:59pm
Shhh - she'll try and flog it to us instead! LOL
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote DrWho7Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 12:03am
Well, why not? I'd buy it if I loved it that much ...  hehe.  (btw, got my pm?)
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote DrWho7Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 9:33pm
Sending out an SOS - Jano is already going through one of my works and I have another one called Gypsy Hearts that I'd like someone to help me with ... The first two chapters are up on here.
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 10:35pm

GH is in Elven Path in FreeWorlds isn't it Fion? Hopefully someone'll be in soon with the time to look it over Thumbs Up

Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote DrWho7Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 10:44pm
It is and has some good comments already.
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 7:37pm
 My stuff does not appeal to all and is not always politically correct either. The only person whoi has seen these are the person they were written for. Now she is in a 'better place'. I have the feeling she she wants me to let others read them?

If you think the stuff is um, crap,(ok I said it), would you be kind?
Blod skal være min endelige prisen!
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 7:55pm
Of course - PC stands for pretty crap in my book and anyway if it's about the real world then that's hardly PC even if we wanted it to be, and in other fantasies it's the author's deal on what goes... Wink

All the main fora are family-friendly on here, which for our purposes means PG13/12 (US/UK) in terms of what you'd see under those certs in a cinema, which does allow a little leeway in some areas but anything too full on in terms of sex or violence etc you can post it over in the adult forum and then come over here/PM to let us know where it's stashed Wink

Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 8:31pm
Great, I'll post one next week.
Blod skal være min endelige prisen!
Ceregorn View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Ceregorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 10:56am
So, ummm... I watched The Dark Knight again (any excuse!) to see just what a story roughly equated to a 12 certificated film is able to portray, and truth be told, I'm no clearer in my mind about it. I've got something to post, but while the language in it is clean there's one pretty bone crunching scene in there. Will it be OK to post it in the smithy?
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 3:42pm
Get back to you soon Ceregorn - Thumbs Up 

I can direct you to some guidance material and examples but not everyone can use the links, which is a little frustrating so we can talk off-thread and discuss where's the best home for your story
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2014 at 10:12pm
OK - this is dire need of bumping because it could be a highly useful area on the new site... Tongue

So - this is the place to discuss the piece or whatever you'd like some input on (or PM somebody direct if you're shy). Post the whole thing if you like and it's not too long by starting a new thread in this sub-forum (do it in instalments if you like, especially if it's a WIP) or come in here to talk about more generalised issues or again start a thread about  - what makes a great editor for instance? Anything to do with stringing your words together to dazzle and delight! Smile

Here's a link to my WIP thread commentary thread for the anthology project as an example of what you could do Wink
angel7090695001 View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote angel7090695001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 10:58pm
I prefer starting a sub-topic rather than posting in here because you can easily distinguish what is about your piece of work versus others.
Louise Findlay
Fantasy Author
Twitter: @authorlouise
See my website at louisefindlaybooks.wordpress.com
See my eBooks at www.smashwords.com/profile/view/angel7090695001
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 12:09pm
 Smile - that's the way angel. This area's more for generalised discussion, perhaps before you start in on something if you need some help with structure or broad aesthetics Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply