Dream-Worlds Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DreamWorld ~ Tolkien's Arda (LOTR and others) > Hobbit Lands ~ The Shire & Buckland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

The Ivy Bush

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Miah View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Miah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ivy Bush
    Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 8:25pm

In the Shire, on the Bywater Road, stands a small inn that is well known around these parts called The Ivy Bush.

Stop by and share a pint of ale and enjoy the atmosphere of friendly conversation with the likes of old Ham Gamgee, Daddy Twofoot and Old Noakes of Bywater. And while you catch up on the latest gossip and far fetched stories, be sure to check out the menu.

Menu
Sam's Garden Toast
-bruschetta appetizer
Crickhollow Soup
-mushroom bisque
Honey Scones
- served with steaming tea
Belladonna Took's Seed Cake
-old fashioned rich cake with a surprisingly spicy, refreshing taste
Hobbits Delight
-portabella mushrooms with crispy bacon and tomato fried and served over bread

The barkeep, Fosco, will see to your needs and make sure you are comfortable. So come on in and sample a taste of the Shire, and sit a spell if you like---there's always news to be shared, and more than enough folk with which to share it!

Rules
1. The Barkeep is an NPC (rp him yourself)
2. ALL posts IC, no exceptions, please! (white them out)
3. Any questions or concerns, please direct them to the Mayor's office
Do Not Post In RED
Kris View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote Kris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 8:33pm
NPC: Metrey Dornen

Itd been a rather boring day at the clothingstore, with rather few customers. It was a hot day though, wich was probably why nobody needed more clothing. Having been without much company most of the day, Trey decided hed visit the Ivy Bush for a cold beer and someone to talk to. Our friend had black curls, tanned skin with blue eyes. A white shirt hugged his chest today and brown shorts came to around his knees. Having closed down the store, he started the way from Hobbiton marketplace to Bywater. it was a sunny day, with a light breeze, exactly the way he enjoyed it. Smiling and with his hands in his pockets, Trey passed by playing kids, carts with goods and people tending to their yards.

Soon enough, the Ivy Bush came into vieuw and walking up the last bit of the way he opened the door. The big smile on his face changed into a puzzled frown as he checked out the room. Hey Fosco, where is everybody? He asked. Fosco was the inkeeper here, always friendly, rather chubby but thats because he has to check all the food and drinks for his customers right? Oi Trey! Your the first one in today, except for a couple old men who where here at noon. Trey sighed.  Calm day for you too eh? Mind if i open this one? Pointing to the window left of the door. Nahh open up, whatll you be having anywhays? The barkeep asked, moving towards the tap, expecting the usual answer. Yknow, a terras would be really good this time of year...and ill have a beer thank you.
Sivan Ilius View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer
Darkest of the Dark Lord's Minions

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2009 at 9:17pm
NPC Isembold "Bold" Proudfoot

Bold
had been a busy three foot and three and a half inch Hobbit this morning. He woke up when Dawn still stretched out her lithe milky arms on the horizon and immediately went to work. What exactly was his work? To talk. He talked for a living-- whispering this and whispering that. He was the son of a very proud, hairy-footed fellow who had made so great a fortune in his youth that Bold himself never had to work! So all Bold did with his time was gossip.
This day being a more important day than others (it was officially only one hundred and ten days till Bold's seventy-sixth birthday!), Bold decided to celebrate! He darted merrily along the road, kicking his knees up high and stretching out his hairy feet for all the world to see! And so he continued, laughing and singing to himself, until he finally came to the Ivy Bush.
"Oi, there, Fosco!" he cried, "Why not give a beer to a young fellow now seventy-five years and two hundred fifty-five days old! Well, I think meself quite established for a fellow only seventy-five years and two hundred fifty-five days old! Not like those trouble-makin' Tooks. Always up to no good! Did'yu hear of their latest escapade! Why it stinks of Took-maddness, it does!"
Kris View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote Kris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 1:09pm

Iknow, maybe something for spring next year eh? Fosco answered pouring the young hobbit a beer to take to his seat. Lifting it in cheers to the bartender, Trey turned around to make his way back to his seat. But suddenly he heard a sound, a voice comming from the sunny outside. Ohhh no...thats not...He mumbled to himself before an older, rather cheerfull hobbit came in. Bold. Ohhh why did this fool have to come here, prancing like a girl all the way probably, telling all kinds of gibberish to everyone whos stupid enough to listen.
Walking past him as he moved to the bar without taking much notice of him, Trey placed himself at his spot before the open window, taking a big swig of his ale to help him forget the biggest brat in bywater stood there talking to Fosco. Quite established? All this fool has managed to do all his life was boast about how rich he was and spread lies about those who wernt. He thought to himself, turning his head away. Trey remembered when he was younger, Bold would tell him what a succesfull person he was, having everything and being loved by everyone, how he did it all himself. How this blown up piece of fishwife "took pity" on the poverty he and his mother had lived in, but then telling everyone they supposedly stole from better off hobbits carbage. What things would he have to tell us now? He asked himself, thinking outloud for a moment.
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 7:50pm

"What things would he have to tell us now?" Bold heard whispered out from behind him. Wheeling around, he saw good ol' Metrey Dornen at the window with a mug of beer in his hand.
"Well, well! If it isn't my cheery friend, Mr. Blue-Eyed Trey!" Bold chirped, skipping over to Trey's table with a sloshing pint of beer in his arms. Sitting down with a wide, pearly smile, he addressed Trey:
"I see your shop's as busy as it always is. . ." he chuckled snidely to himself, tapping the side of his nose, "for why else would'yu be here in the mid of day, m'friend! Ha ha!"
He breathed in a deep draught of his frothy ale and then continued before Trey could defend himself, "You've nothin' to be ashamed of, good Trey, we all go through rough times at times. Or so I hear. I myself wouldn't know, bein' so established'n'all, y'know! But you yourself, I hear, are a bit like those Tooks." Bold let out a long, belly laugh.
"No, no, jus' kiddin' Trey! Of course, y'ain't like them crazed Tooks. I mean no disrespect to the Old Took, an' all. But them Tooks, I hear from the Sackville-Bagginses themselves, have been meddling in dirty waters, very dirty waters, I hear!"
Kris View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote Kris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 12:25am

Ohhh no, Trey wished hed never had those words slip from his mouth out loud, now this prissy, emptyheaded hobbit was taking a seat across from him. His greeting was just as false as everything else that came out of this one. He rolled his eyes, but didnt respond untill the other one was done with talking his nonsense. Although it was so that he didnt have much bussiness today. Trey was sure this fat git was congratulating himself on this stab in his mind. Somehow, he was quite sure that in a former life, he wouldve just pulled this one over the table and killed him with his bare hands...

But now he played a smile and leaned foreward. Ahh but forget those Tooks eh, i mean YOUR the most respected hobbit in the Shire right? Im not, and your right, my store isnt exactly a great success...but perhaps you could teach me some of your wisdom. What was it with wich you made your fortune again, Bold? He took a swig of his ale, before beckoning the other one to come a bit closer. Yknow, i heard some say you only have all that money because your father is the one who always had to take care of you...How is your father anywhays? Trey knew his father was dead, probably forgot to disown his son too, because he couldnt imagine anyone being proud of this useless fool. He leaned back again. Nonsense obviously, what does your wife think of it? You do have a wife do you? Someone with your establishment should have no problem marrieing, especially at your age of 76, wich is also a very...respectable age. Trey nodded with a bit of an exagurated frown.
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 8:10pm

Bold
went grey for a moment. His face straightened as he began to glower at this Trey's impertinence.
"
What was it with which you made your fortune again, Bold?" Trey leaned forward and spoke through a feigned smile. Bold was not the brightest Hobbit in the Hole, but he could certainly sense when a friend was being unfriendly. As the blue-eyed Hobbit drank some of his ale, Bold shrugged self-consciously.
"Now, now, Trey, there's no need to be lettin' out yer anger over yer shop's slow business all over poor, ol' Isembold Proudfoot!"
While Bold neared the end of his sentence, Trey beckoned for him to lean in closer. With a knack for dropping eaves, it was an animal instinct for Bold to lean forward whenever people lowered the volumes of their voices. So he leaned forward without a thought.
"
Y'know, i heard some say you only have all that money because your father is the one who always had to take care of you...How is your father anyways? Obviously, what does your wife think of it? You do have a wife do you? Someone with your establishment should have no problem marrying, especially at your age of 76, which is also a very...respectable age."
At last! Trey had finally broached Bold's favorite subject of all-- himself!
"Oh, good good!" Bold chuckled, "M'good ol' father's well and rested, as they like to say. Ha ha! Not at all like m'wife-- she hasn't gotten a good rest for five and twenty years y'know. Ever since that first one of ours was born! Not a single day's rest! Ha ha! Not like you at all. I'm sure with the business in yer shop, you get to rest a full ten hours! Ha ha!"
Kris View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote Kris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 7:09pm

Haha! See, Bold couldnt even say how he got his moneys. Instead he replied with the same old slow shop business. Ofcaurse he was ready to listen more tho, ondoubtedly expecting sompe juicy gossip...fat git. Only, Trey stared at the hobbit for a moment and shook his head in some strange mix of amusement and annoyment as he replied with much enthousiasm. He let the comment about his sleep and work pass him by completely, quite taken back by his statement that his wife hadnt had a good rest since they had their firstborn. He couldnt believe some hobbits were like that! When Trey was younger, his mother had taken care of him after his father died in the battle of bywater, having moved to Hobbiton. He owed her much, and now she was dead too. Apparently the one sitting across of him, was not only dumb, annoying and fat but also a bad husband. Not letting on tho, but curious to what went on there, he asked: Sounds like a plan for you eh? Not having to do anything at home, not being bothered with housework and the kids. Whatr their names anywhays?
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 8:57pm

"Well," Bold chortled, swigging down some ale from his mug. He stretched out his hands together and cracked his knuckles like a conductor preparing for a symphony.
"Well," he repeated, "first there's Bold the Second! Still in his tweens and already married himself-- the young rascal! Then there's Robin 'n' Rufus, the twins. . .the most lovable, hate-able sprigs out there! Always up to no good the two of 'em. And then who? Well, of course! The girls! Lily, Bell, and May."
Bold simpered proudly.
"The Proudest Feet in all the Shire!" he exclaimed and then on leaning closer to Trey queried, "You have a family, yes? Or are the lassies sane enough to sniff a slow shop on sight?"
Doughnut Jimmy View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Doughnut Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 10:05pm
NPC Sage Plowright

"Hello Fosco, a Honey Scone please"
Sage had had a beast of a day and was glad to get away from the farm for a couple of hours, living out there was great but occasionally even she needed company.

Fosco: You're looking a bit rough Sage

"Too true, dead calf today and that always gets me down, still your baking always cheers me up. It's looking quiet in here tonight"
The road goes ever on and on
Caitlin View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Caitlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 5:04pm

Today is the day I leave the orphanage.

My name is Violet,18 years old, I like snow men, but I have never seen them before.

I never met my father, my mother told me he disappeared in the old forest.

When I was young my mother told me "come with me I will take you to go to an amusement park." That day is make me so happy and sad the same time. 

My mother said "I want to go to the toilet, wait here, do not go anywhere."

But I am a mischievous girl, I seen clown he smile to me, he have candy, he want to give that candy to me. Of course, I do not do what my mother want, I go to take a candy, A candy make me never seen my mother again.

I wake up on the bed in orphanage, I try to find my mother for 10 years, but no sign of my mother.

Now is time to find her by my self, I want her back, I hope I can see her again. I never go out side for ten years, on the right side of the street many blossoms fell, but on the left side of the street there was only mud. My caretaker alway told me "It is pleasant to walk on a street covered with petals, but the last petal will make you fall." Who trust that? mud? No way, I turn left. 

Sigh...I am so hungry 

I see lamp over there, maybe there are people and some food. I run toward it and then I come to a big wall. I knock on the door "Hello, anybody here?", no one answer me. The door is open, I go inside. There is a corridor leading to a courtyard. In the middle of the courtyard stands a fountain with a statue. The statue looks like a woman who wants to shake your hand. So I do. Suddenly, a big storm erupts and all comes to life and then I find myself in a different world. 

I see hobbits playing music on the street, children chasing butterflies and a woman milking a cow. It's all so wonderful, but I'm brought back to reality by the sound of my grumbling tummy.

I go to ask woman with the cow, "Do you know where I can find something to eat?", she looks at me weirdly and says: "right over there The Ivy Bush." I thanked her and I walked over to The Ivy Bush.

There are many people inside, I went to the counter and asked for the menu. He is very friendly, he has curly black hair. He give me the menu and says "What would you like to eat today?", I say "I want some soup and cake", and he says "I recommend Crickhollow Soup and Belladonna Took's Seed Cake", I say "I will take that then, thank you." He snaps his fingers and the food magically appears on the counter. I'm surprised. I continue to talk politely to him while I eat.

Kris View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote Kris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 10:18am
Allow me to introduce myself...

I was once wild, but now I am tame. My coat keeps me warm, yet I wear no clothes. I am a dear friend and a terrible adversary. My hugs are warm but my howls are chilling. My ears are big and my muzzle long, but while they are short, my legs are very strong.

I'm a dog!

But wait, there's more!

I was the last one to rule my own people. All my foreign allies eventually became my enemies. Although I descended from another national hero, my struggle was no more successful, and though I was beaten, I never made peace. I am still remembered in Corwen Great Square.

I'm Owain Glyndwr!

Truf2.JPG

Once, I swore that my soul would not rest until my homeland was free of foreign oppression! Unfortunately, I died before I could achieve my goal. Because I failed, the heavens will not grant me my rest. So I've been sent here, to this...Middle-Earth... to rally a new force and complete my ancient quest. 

There is, of course, one complication. I'm a dog, so I can't talk and I definitely can't wield a sword or a banner anymore. So telling people is hard, let alone convincing them. Everywhere I go I call out to people, but they just smile and stroke my head. Other times they shout at me and chase me away. Bah! If only these yokels realized my royal pedigree!

Anyway, today I find myself sauntering through the streets of Bywater. I've recently come in from the eastern part of this land called Eriador, which was quite an ordeal let me tell you! Trolls, wights, mosquitoes...but the worst were those bloody elves on their elk. What kind of a straight-jacket, loony tunes idea was THAT?!

Then suddenly, I see a flash and a girl (Violet) falling onto the ground from thin air. Never in either of my lives have I seen such sorcery! The girl looks like a hobbit, but seems a little out of place here. When she walks into the Ivy Bush, I decide to follow her. With my ears perked and my nose raised high, I trot closely behind her into the establishment of refreshments.

For a moment, I can't make her out in the small group of hobbits. This is what life is like when you're a canine. While your senses of smell and hearing are fantastic, your sight isn't what it used to be. And then she moves! Somehow my sight is much clearer when it detects motion. She's at the bar talking to the rather round barkeep and eating some food.

She's acting so normal, so innocent. But I KNOW that she's actually a very powerful witch! If I can recruit her dark magic I might finally be able to return to Wales and throw out those pesky English!...Also, I might be able to get some scraps.  I prepare to give a rousing speech. woof! Woof waf! That ought to catch her attention.  Wowowooof woof woof! I turn on the charm offensive, scratching her chair and wagging my tail. Waf waf woof! And I finish it off with a cute little whine as I sit down to wait for the inevitable, teary eyed oath of fealty!
Caitlin View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Caitlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 5:42pm

Fosco leans in and whispers to me "I know you are magical,"

I feel something strange from him, I say "I don't have any magic, I'm normal like you."

He looks at me in a weird way and says "I feel your powers, have you never noticed?"

I answer "I don't think I have any powers."

He takes pen and paper and draws a map, and then he says "I know someone who can help you, he lives in the forest. Go there and tell him my name He will know what to do."

Suddenly I hear a bark! I turn around and see a dog. Who's dog is that? I think he wants to be my friend, uhm…he’s so well-behaved, I like him. He wags his tail, licks my leg and gives me a puppy dog look. I stroke his head and give him a bit of cake. Wait! I think this dog is trying to tell me something. The way he barks reminds me of a person, but I don’t understand dogs.

I turn back to Fosco and ask “Who’s dog is this?” he says “It’s a street dog, it doesn’t belong to anybody.” I look at the dog again and smile. “I think I will take him with me.”

Fosco asks me “take him where?” and I answer “to your friend, of course. The one who lives in the forest.” I get of the chair and walk toward the door, beckoning the cute dog to follow. “We don’t have time to go to the forest today, it’s already too late.” I tell the dog. “Why don’t we find a place to sleep?” Fortunately, there is a hotel right next to the inn. I go inside and ask for a room.

Post Reply Post Reply