Dream-Worlds Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Celebrations, Fun and Games > Chatterbox HQ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

La Shed ~ problems shared, tempers vented!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: La Shed ~ problems shared, tempers vented!
    Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 4:14pm
May move this someplace else when we open but while we're all in here and 'bonding' like mad I think this is OK out here (or we can have 2 versions... Evil Smile)

OK the idea of this thread is to scream your head off or otherwise vent about anything that's yanking your chain or otherwise getting your goat, putting your nose out of joint or whooshing you off...

Feel free to swear (no kiddies in here yet remember) - we have to give the 'Bad Word Filter' a good workout anyway... Censored

Not Rules
Do change names to protect the (not so) innocent in case we might know them (although we'd like to try and guess... Pinch)
Do try not to be rude about other members in here - unless they can take it in a humourous way...  *seating is available for any good shouting matches* Cool
A point system may or may not be operation for inventive ways around the 'Bad Word Filter'
The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one
will do ~ Thomas Jefferson
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 4:26pm
Whoops! I've done one already! *goes off to put something suitable on for p*ssing off before anyone notices...*
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 4:36pm
Curiouser and curiouser Tongue

It doesn't seem to back-date cursing... Evil Smile Tries it again - whooshing whooshing whooshing

LOL
Gaijin-San View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Gaijin-San Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Jano

Curiouser and curiouser Tongue
Shouldn't that be "more curious and more curious" and even then it doesn't make any sense.LOL (Copyright Sir Terry Pratchett)
PayPal - The caring bank!
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 2:51pm
Some people are just so bloody sharp you'd wonder whether they were self-harming... Angry

OK teacher man - can't I like Lewis Carroll as well? Wink
Sivan Ilius View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer
Darkest of the Dark Lord's Minions

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 4:36pm
Lewis Carroll!!!! I love his works. . .but I sure wouldn't want to be around him as a little girl =/
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 5:36pm

LOL I saw an interview with the RL Alice once - a very grounded and very grand old Lady. She said the rumours about Mr. Dodgson's sexual mores were incorrect and he was always her and her siblings 'favourite Uncle' type. He certainly did take nude photos of children, but also of adults too, both men and women - the Victorians were far less prudish than people think. There's evidence to suggest he was in fact far more attracted to Alice's older sister Lorina (in her late teens) or even to their governess - this is fairly consistent with Dodgson's 'falling out' with the Liddell family at that time... Wink

What is actually more likely on the nudes front is that he was one of the early pioneers of photographic portraiture and in his lifetime it was very definitely an art form and as such there was a lot of experimentation in life studies (as in the nature of fine art) as people began to explore the possibilities of the cumbersome equipment and techniques - he was considered one of the top British amateur photographers at the time and toyed with the idea of becoming a professional at one stage.

So don't be too drawn to the mud-slinging with famous people of that era - attitudes were very different back then and not everyone was a repressed opiate-taking pervert or indeed a repressed, depressed widowed monarch who obviously got far more than her fair share of bedroom fun - if you could afford child-care back then you didn't have 9 kids and not like sex after all LOL
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 5:53pm
haha, that's a relief; the commentary I read on him when I was reading his collection of Alice-works creeped me out, but I tend not to completely believe them. Though, the British are pretty unpredictable ;)
D'you have any idea if all the claptrap they say about Oscar Wilde is true?
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 6:51pm
Oscar Wilde was just that and served gaol time as a result. LOL 

Like a lot of men he was married and had kids too - his wife adored him (until he was convicted when she moved out and changed her and the kid's surname to Holland) and he was previously engaged to a lady who ditched him for Bram Stoker (amazing what you can find out on Wiki isn't it?) and so he may have been bisexual but by his own admission he was mainly attracted to men.

These days people mostly wouldn't turn at hair at his behaviour or inclinations - as the man himself said when he went on a trip to the USA - "all I have to declare is my genius" and he damned well was too Smile
Galen View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Teacher and Bard

Quote Galen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 10:11pm
Picture of Dorian Gray, one of my fav stories EVER!  don't care who he rolled in the hay, just love his genius.
Nurbor View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Lord of Summer

Quote Nurbor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 10:45pm
So what if one wants to try spouting off about sodding flaming idiots and small little backwater hobos?

Or can we only pick on the rich and famous? Tongue

I'm just recently annoyed with my grandfather and the fall of his mind to the brainwashing of his whodoo wackadoodle wife.
They lived their belief and if asked they would gladly die for it.Tell me now who in your glorious age holds such a belief? All that lives is born to die we must make the best of the time we are given
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 11:32pm
spout away about anyone you want all you like old elfie - saves me have to listen to you whinging about 'em on MSN Evil Smile
Kris View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote Kris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2009 at 6:59pm
Hey jano...guess what eh? Im technically underageTongueWink
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2009 at 6:22pm
You'll grow out it Kris - no worries LOL

Not in a tremendously good mood myself today - lots to do and not much time to do it. Luckily most of what I have to do is on here so at least the company's pleasant Wink
Kris View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote Kris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2009 at 11:53pm

damn i just got stung by a wasp i squashed with my fingers thinking it was a fly...Auch.

Prince Imrahil View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote Prince Imrahil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 12:30am

Have you ever been bitten by a tick?

My Avatar is a hot Lady. Your argument is invalid.

. . . Or not, since she won't show up!
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 12:47am
My dog has =D !
Kris View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote Kris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 12:50am
me too actually, years ago...
Prince Imrahil View Drop Down
Dreamers
Dreamers

Quote Prince Imrahil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 1:19am

I got stung by a bee . . . right in the jugular. I thought it was a fly and I tried to brush it off the next thing I knew I was bent clutching at my neck and saying some very nasty things

My Avatar is a hot Lady. Your argument is invalid.

. . . Or not, since she won't show up!
DrWho7Freak View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Time Traveller - Orc Forgiver

Quote DrWho7Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 9:29pm

Just had dinner repeat on me ... Not nice!

Also, was going to order a new tv and dvd player to get ready for digital and the dvd player I got was my parents and it was a cheapy to start off with. I was going to get an all singing and dancing tv with HD so, when I can afford a sky package I can get sky plus hd and watch movies and real good quality on a blu ray dvd as movies are my life!

BUT ...

It was going to be on a buy now pay later scheme with a catalogue - they wanted me to pay the interest UP FRONT! Don't get me wrong but when an offer says: Buy Now And Not Pay A Penny Until July 2010 - should mean just that! No Upfront Payments WHATSOEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suffice it to say that catalogue has lost this customer - they were going to get a good lot of money from me an all ... you'd think they'd welcome ANY custom during the Credit Crunch!

So, will finish paying up the bill get something on my shop n save rewards and quit the catalogue!
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 9:49pm
Don't mention catalogues Censored
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2009 at 10:42pm
But do mention Kellogg's....mmmmm....yum yum cereal!!! =D
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote DrWho7Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 8:30pm

Does anybody know how you can get rid of the 0301 number (for uk I assume only!) an Indian call centre offering Debt Free Advice?  They keep calling and it's getting on my nerves!  Normally when you say 'Not Interested!' they hang up - just now I had one that would NOT GIVE UP! In the end I hung up on HIM....  Normally I try to be polite on the phone to everybody but this evening I got annoyed!Confused 

Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2009 at 8:34pm
You go for it gal - it's your time they're wasting. If you don't like to be rude then just hit disconnect and don't even open your mouth Thumbs Up
chris.ph View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote chris.ph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 7:38pm
just ask for their home phone number and tell them youll phone them up just as their sitting down for dinner
measuring intellgence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
Crikey View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Crikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Fionesta

Does anybody know how you can get rid of the 0301 number (for uk I assume only!) an Indian call centre offering Debt Free Advice?  They keep calling and it's getting on my nerves!  Normally when you say 'Not Interested!' they hang up - just now I had one that would NOT GIVE UP! In the end I hung up on HIM....  Normally I try to be polite on the phone to everybody but this evening I got annoyed!Confused 

Years ago, I used to receive dirty phone calls every Wednesday. It was usually the same man, and I think he used to enjoy the fact that I didn't freak out.
One of my favourite ploys was to pretend that it was a bad connection and that I couldn't hear what he was saying.
He would then speak louder. 'No Good' I would say. 'I still can't hear you. Can you shout?'  He would then start shouting at the top of his voice, while I covered the mouthpiece so he couldn't hear me trying not to laugh.
Can you imagine what his neighbours thought of him, while they listened to him through the walls? I bet he felt really stupid as well!

Another ploy is to keep pressing the hash key. # emits a high pitched tone. Just keep pressing it ... or else tell them that there is someone at the door and you won't be a minute. Put the phone down, press 'mute' so they can't hear you and leave them hanging on. They are paying for the call, and sooner or later they are going to get fed up and hang up on you. After all, Call Centre operators have to make a certain number of calls within a specified time frame, and they cannot afford to hang on just so that you can answer the door!

Don't get mad. Get even!  
Come over to the Dark Side. We have chocolate...
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote DrWho7Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 10:31pm

Yep, strangely they didn't ring today!  Hopefully they got the message.

Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 11:08pm
My house has had sugar ants of late. I thought they finally disappeared for good, as they were no longer on my kitchen counter. So I got myself a bowl of Honeynut Cheerios out of my kitchen closet. I sat down to watch Ironside and started eating my cereal, when suddenly I saw crawling on the rim of my bowl a small black ant. I flicked it off, thinking that it had just wandered off into my dishwasher. Then, though, I glanced down at my cereal and saw a bunch of ants, most drowned in the milk and a few clinging onto some of the Os desperately like survivors from the Titanic.
It can never be known how many ants I have eaten today without my knowledge. But it can be known that I immediately threw out the entire box of Cheerios and won't be eating any type of cereal again for a long, long time.
Crikey View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Crikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2009 at 3:53pm
Sivan, That is priceless!
A friend of mine used to drink coffee in bed at 4a.m. every weekday. His routine was to go downstairs to the kitchen, not turn any lights on (as it wastes electricity), make instant coffee, return to bed and drink it in a relaxed manner.
One day he was spooning the coffee into his cup and he thought that there was something odd about the coffee as he spooned it into his cup, but being a man, he carried on regardless.
When he went to drink it in bed he said that it tasted awful. So awful in fact that he had another sip just to confirm how bad it was.
He then went to the bathroom and threw it down the sink and was horrified to see what he thought were maggots in the bowl!
Second glance proved that they were rice grains. He had picked up the rice container instead of the coffee container in the kitchen - but he nearly had a heart attack!

Life is so much more simple with the light on!
Come over to the Dark Side. We have chocolate...
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2009 at 7:15pm
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>