Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Village Homes Helpdesk & FAQs
    Posted: 19 Jun 2009 at 10:36am

(Sources ~ ME Map from LotR 'antiqued' in Photoshop; other obects ~ random Google searches)

Village Homes Helpdesk & FAQs

Welcome to our Helpdesk and FAQs for the Village Homes. This is the place to come if you wish to find out more about the Homes scheme; how it works; how to start building your own Home; discuss problems with your Home; or bringing new members into your household; or just to make general enquiries.

Post your enquiry or problem below and we'll get back to you soon!
(If you wish to enquire privately for any reason - about permissions for instance - then please PM Jano or ???)

~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Short on time or got tons of questions? Maybe you'll find your answers in our FAQs below...

IMPORTANT
Please note ~ the following information is interpretive and we can be flexible about how it is applied to individuals, especially for the first few months of bedding in the new Village Homes forums.
The Village is also completely closed to Guest/non-Member viewing, regardless of any privacy level you select. 

We also intend to keep the qualification for owning and keeping a Home to a minimum but once we are fully operational
new members will have to make 50 posts and become a full member before they can request a Home.
This will, we hope be the only qualifier, although we reserve the right to alter or waive this in some cases. 

As a whole the Village Homes will always be subject to interpretation and/or change to fully meet the needs of DreamWorlds and its communities.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are Homes anyway?

Essentially each Home is a private sub-forum where the Owner (that's you we hope) has sole access to as many threads as they need. The Owner has the same access and control panel for their sub-forum as the admin/mods have access/control use to tend their areas of responsibilities. 

The default setting for each Home is completely private in that nobody but the Owner can view or post in the threads*. On request an Owner can opt to have various access settings whereby anyone can for instance view their House, but still cannot post, or to allow both viewing and posting.

Please see FAQs relating to Can I share my Home? if you wish to have friends as official residents in your Home.

Where are the Homes 'located'?

Wherever you want them to be... this is your own place and you're completely in charge in there and can set up threads on anything that interests you, hold your own mini-RPGs, play house with your character's favourite person, write fan-fic or your Great Novel, or just have relaxed OOC chat about anything under the sun - whatever you want to do basically. 

Please note that the Village Homes are designated as family-friendly regardless of the privacy level selected.  
If you are 18 or over, you can if you wish also set up a home in the FreeWorlds forum which is an adults only area.

Sounds good - how do I set up my Home?
Couldn't be simpler. If you have made 50 posts on DreamWorlds and reached Member status then get yourself over to the Village Homes Unreal Estate Office and just fill in a very simple form setting out what kind of Home you'd like (different kinds for different levels of privacy) and the Village Home mods will do the rest.
For more info on the different access levels please go to How much Privacy can I have?

Can I have more than 1 Home then?
If you are over 18 years old then, yes, you can in theory, but only one Home in this forum. If you wish to have another home in the FreeWorlds forum, then you may do that as well.

Within your Village Home you may have as many threads running as you wish and the flexibility to make them available to others to view or post in, or have completely closed and for your use only plus several access levels in between (see How much Privacy can I have? for more info) so there is a limit of one Home, per member, per forum.
If you are 18 years or older then you may also open one house in FreeWorlds, which is our adults only personal area forum. The FreeWorlds Homes are all set to exclude the under 18s group and so adult content may be posted there. 

Shared Homes?
Of course! There is still only one Owner - you, but you may nominate other people to enjoy the same privileges in your Home as yourself if you wish. If these are the only people you want accessing your Home then we can set permissions so you can all play in peace*. Other access options are available so you and your friends have the privacy levels that suit you all. Friends may be added or removed as you wish, just try not to be doing this too frequently or you may be asked to adjust your access levels!
More details on how to do this are available in the Village Homes Unreal Estate Office.

How much Privacy can I have?

As much or as little as you want or need. There are four levels of privacy to choose from ~ 

• Ivory Tower ~ Just you with the doors barred and the shutters up. Nobody but you will be able to see in or post*. 
    This option is for those reclusive types who don't need any company, have big secrets and/or need a lot a space for their chocolate habit, 'hobbies' or dirty laundry... If you 'vant to be alone' then that's fine by us - we won't even ask why. Well maybe a little bit... but in private over PM, email etc.
  • Desert Island ~ only you and your 'family' and friends will be able to view and post in this Home*.
    For those who just want to play with a chosen few and have quality time together. Give us a list of the people you want to let in and we'll set the Home up so only you and your friends will be able to see in or post*. You may add to or remove people as you wish.
  • Haunted House ~ this is the one where you'd like your Home to be on general view but only you and your friends (if you want to share) will be able to post in there.
    The 'ghosts' are therefore on the outside looking in, but they can't talk to you... Spooky! 
  • Fun House ~ the one for people persons and parties and throwing the doors open to let the world in.
    You may still have friends as full members of your Home and they will have enhanced permissions (for instance to start new threads or polls)
    Any member of DreamWorlds will be able to view and post in your house.
Full details on all these options are available in the Village Homes Unreal Estate Office.

I want a Home for grown-ups - is that OK?
Yes, you can, however there's a large BUT...

we need to be very clear about the need to 'fence' any areas that use adult content.

and therefore any member over the age of 18 and wishing to post adult content in their Home must do so in the FreeWorlds forum and not in The Village as this forum must remain family-friendly regardless of privacy settings.  
The Village Homes privacy levels are there for people's natural preferences and for personal choice and tastes which must not include more intense adult interests
We have an obligation to provide security to ensure that minors cannot access your Home if there is adult content in there and so this is not permitted anywhere in The Village .

Those who wish to post the full range of adult experience must use The FreeWorlds where we are happy to provide an option to exclude minors so you may post as freely as you wish, without causing offence.
As responsible adults we therefore ask you to co-operate with the need to ensure your Village Home remains family-friendly. 

Within the FreeWorlds area all the forums exclude minors absolutely and so, if you wish to post adult content, this is where we require you to set up Home, if that if your preference.  

* for security and maintenance purposes administrators will still have the right to enter your Home if there is a maintenance problem or for inspection purposes. 

STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION ~ The above are questions we think YOU might be asking us! However ~ maybe we missed something vital that needs explanation ~ any suggestions of what else might be needed in the FAQs are welcome and will be gratefully received!

If you have any difficulties with, or worries about the following guidance then please either post them in the thread here or PM the Village Homes mods
The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one
will do ~ Thomas Jefferson
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2009 at 5:31pm
Bumps previously hidden thread in case peeps have missed it... Wink
Aikari View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
House Cadníssea nú Námorindúrë

Quote Aikari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 8:56pm
Hey Janowyn: Can I request here for a forum that is called: Cardníssëa nú Namorindúrë? It is the old name for Aikari's house I had on the Plaza and I loved it. I want to use my forum for stories and poetry. All is family friendly.

Thanks, Aikari
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 9:03pm
Whoops - sorry Aiks. I had a load of stuff to do coming up to Xmas and then I got this wretched chest infection a week before so I let the whole forum slip. 

Will get on this next week Thumbs Up
The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one
will do ~ Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply