Dream-Worlds Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lifestyles and Pastimes > History, Myths and Legends > Viking and Norse Culture
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Norse Mythology

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Marak RedIron View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer
Battleaxe Tornado

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Marak RedIron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Norse Mythology
    Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 5:02pm
This will be my thread as soon as I get my images loaded. I figured since this is my specialty and faith I follow on a daily basis.
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 5:28pm
Clap Ah good! I was going to set this one up myself as Miah got the Greek side of it covered but you go right ahead with this one Marak and I'll post with you very happily

Norse Gods rule I think - they're a lot more dynamic and honest than the wine-swillers down south! LOL
The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one
will do ~ Thomas Jefferson
Dreamer
Dreamer
Battleaxe Tornado

Quote Marak RedIron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 5:38pm
That they are Jano, what really won me over was their honesty and dedication to Midgard. They walk along side man and fought to protect them. Yes They RULE!
Saranna View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Saranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2009 at 6:22pm
Marak, I am so glad to meet another person smitten with The Northerness.  Will be haunting this area as you build it up Smile
Death comes to all
But great achievements raise a monument
Which shall endure until the sun grows cold.
- George Fabricius, 'In Praise of Georgius Agricola'
Dreamer
Dreamer
Battleaxe Tornado

Quote Marak RedIron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 8:36am
Saranna, nice to meet ya. I will be working on this thread within the next day or two. Looking forward to good conversation.
Aikari View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
House Cadníssea nú Námorindúrë

Quote Aikari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2009 at 4:28pm
I think a lot of people in love with Tolkien's universe somehow shares also a fair love with everything that is related with Vikings, Celts and Saxons, and other nothern tribes of old and included their faithsystem with it. I am not much in love with them, as I am fair unbeliever in anything related to today's life. But in my early youth I started a long tale about a king among the Vikings in old Norway. I kept writing at it for years, but that stands just on normal paper and is not documented in digital form.

I know fairly most of the Norwegian gods. I did a lot of reading research on them to know how all the "gards" were connected. And thus dipped that story deep in that believesystem against the Christianisation going around slowly in Europe. In todays life I noticed that over the last fifteen years or so a rising interest in them is growing for them.

Pointcount: 1276
Sivan Ilius View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer
Darkest of the Dark Lord's Minions

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2009 at 2:44pm
Norse rules! But they're a bit nuts ><
Is it me or does each culture have some horror story that occurs that everyone is afraid of happening to them?
For the Greeks its being fed your son by your enemy
For the Norse its marrying your sister
For the Egyptians it's eating/stepping in poo (honestly! just read some of the Book of the Dead!)
Saranna View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Saranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2009 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Sivan Ilius

Norse rules! But they're a bit nuts ><
Is it me or does each culture have some horror story that occurs that everyone is afraid of happening to them?
For the Greeks its being fed your son by your enemy
For the Norse its marrying your sister
For the Egyptians it's eating/stepping in poo (honestly! just read some of the Book of the Dead!)

Actually I was always led to understand that the Norse saw the child of incest as specially strong and gifted - maybe that doesn't prvent them being anxious about incest as well.  The chief fear of the Egyptians - among many, including the one you mention - was of course dying away from Egypt and not being preserved by correct mummification rituals.  Also if they had an amputation the removed part would be mummified and kept so they would be whole in the afterlife.  (What is it about mythology that leads one to wander from one tradition to the other so easily, sorry)
Death comes to all
DrWho7Freak View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Time Traveller - Orc Forgiver

Quote DrWho7Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 11:03pm

Are Icelandic Saga's a part of this or is that an entirely different culture?

Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2009 at 1:44pm
Ignoring its own little twists and additional stories, Icelandic mythology is Viking mythology, which is Norse mythology as far as I know. They were the Vikings everyone else would turn to to tell a great, epic poem, as they were so renowned for poetry.
Saranna View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Saranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2009 at 11:53am
Norse = Vikings, Norwegians, Icelanders, Swedes, Geats, Jutes, Angles, Saxons, and for a while Greenland, Shetland, Orkney, the Isle of Man, and parts of Ireland and Scotland (Vikings founded Dublin.)
Death comes to all
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2009 at 11:59am
And York don't forget - the lovely Jorvik Museum

... and before Laif shouts at me don't forget the Danes too LOL
Saranna View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Saranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 3:12pm
And the Outer Hebrides!
Death comes to all
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 3:16pm
Faroe Islands! ROFL LOL
chris.ph View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote chris.ph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 7:12pm
and swansea it is alledgedly named after a viking called swain and swansea was his favourite port hence swains eye. i look a bit vikingish 6ft 4 blonde hair and blue eyes with a funny beard i just cant muster enough head hair to do anything with it thoWink
measuring intellgence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 7:43pm

Swain means peasant and comes from a Middle English word meaning boy.

Miah View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Miah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 7:43pm
I've been to Swansea a few times, nice place and the country is beautiful there. Love the coloured sheep LOL Wales has the coolest flag of any I've ever seen, lucky...Censored eh...so I bought a flag and several shirts and one big honking towel!

Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 7:47pm
I want to go to Wales =C
But Wales falls under the category of Celtic Mythology, not Viking mythology! They're plenty different. Celtic has got to be the most creative, by far, though.
chris.ph View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote chris.ph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 8:21pm
there have been several viking finds in the swansea area so both norse and celtic mythology taken care ofStar
measuring intellgence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 9:03pm
Of course all parts of the British Isles were ransacked and taken by Vikings for a time-- hence the Anglo-Saxons; but nonetheless, the Welsh come from the Britons and so to be a stickler to titles their mythology is Celtic--- y'all can claim all the Arthurian legends and Epona and Morganna for yourselves ;)
The Anglo-Saxons, or the English could more legitimately claim the Vikings for themselves.
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 9:13pm
You're telling Chris how to suck eggs here Sivan - he picks on poor lil' Saxon me the whole time Tongue 

actually he doesn't 'cos I have a lot of nice Celt and Gael genes floating around my veins and most Brits are mutts anyway. Do we have a Celtic/Irish myth thread yet - someone really ought to start one if we don't... Evil Smile

And to rain on everyone's parade the Celts all started in Switzerland/FrenchAlps and spread out west and east and north as well mixing with the local communities as they went so as the farthest west Wales and Ireland have the 'purest' blood strain in Europe until the Romans landed and certainly beyond that too in the far west of the British Isles but they also settled Low Countries and up as far as Denmark certainly, so southern Viking culture at least was largely founded on the Celtic one as they were the first people in Europe to use iron and steel effectively - now go check up on me! I happen to be an expert on this...Wink

Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 9:57pm
Fun, fun, fun! I love this kinda stuff! But I still persist, just to make things easier and to avoid having to explain the genealogy of different races around the world, Wales counts as Celtic mythology =P
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 10:38pm
Wales is a land of legend and song yes Thumbs Up
chris.ph View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote chris.ph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 6:14pm
and rugby
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 6:23pm

Funnily enough I was talking to one of your compatriots at the weekend and saying we didn't have a rugby thread yet... We do have a Sports and Outdoors forum if you'd care to tend to that since you now know how to open a pub thread... Evil Smile

It's the only way you'll be getting one atm - my interest in sport could be written on a pinhead, although I do like to watch rugby when it's wet.... (mumbles something about mud and shorts Big smile)
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Marak RedIron

That they are Jano, what really won me over was their honesty and dedication to Midgard. They walk along side man and fought to protect them. Yes They RULE!

I am a lady (should never have called myself Meerkat cos everyone thinks I am a man!) follower of the Gods. Hope you don't mind me joining in? Sorry, that's the nerves coming out! Been unwell and I find getting to know new people a bit difficult still. Once I get to know you all I'll be ok.

I write about vikings (25 years now) from a story I was told during a force 12 trip to Sweden. I have had six rejections from  the "big" publishing houses who say they are
science fiction and vikings are not in fashion. Have they been to York lately?

I have a deep interest in Norse magic which I think is misunderstood (like most magic).

I cast runes and am looking for suitable wood that I can carve futhark onto for Telling purposes.

The Gods are important to us all.  May Thor be by your side!
Blod skal være min endelige prisen!
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 4:04pm
I love runes (just the look of them). What I always find rather ironic is that the gods for the cradle of civilisation in Greece are so flipping careless, verging on punitive towards humans but the pantheon for the so-called barbarian cultures of northern European are far more ethical and tolerant.

There's definitely something in this wine and beer-drinking dichotomy methinks! LOL

Meerkat - if you want to change your username you're welcome. PM me if you do and I can re-fix that in a tick Wink
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 4:09pm
Also folks - Marak's hardly ever around these days so if anyone want to 'run' this thread then please feel free to post away to your heart's content! Geek
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 5:37pm
Hi, I am happy to run this in Maraks absence.

Blod skal være min endelige prisen!
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 5:54pm
Ja! Valkyries rule! Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>