Dream-Worlds Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Celebrations, Fun and Games > Holidays and Special Times
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Vacation Dreams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What will your vacation destination this year be?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [63.64%]
1 [9.09%]
1 [9.09%]
1 [9.09%]
1 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aikari View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
House Cadníssea nú Námorindúrë

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aikari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacation Dreams
    Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 8:08pm
Well, summervacation is at hand. A few weeks and the schools will be closed for the summer. People have sure booked their vacations, or have plans to go free without any reservations. Where will this summer bring you, will you stay in your own country, or do you go abroad? See you the sun and the beaches and enjoy the hours of sun? Or are you more off for adventure, seeking the most unlikely dangers? Or do you spend the summer at home in your own garden watching the flowers blossom and heard relaxed the birds sing?

Tell me *g*

~ Keep in mind the forum rules.
~ Keep it family friendly.

Pointcount: 1264
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 10:09pm
Whoops! - that little 'poll only' check box is a nuisance! Switched it off again Wink

Well I voted for Europe but in fact I am spending my holidays in the principality of Kernow - where I live! LOL But it's close to the seaside and some the finest surf beaches in the UK and indeed in Europe so every day is a holiday here  really!
The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one
will do ~ Thomas Jefferson
Marak RedIron View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer
Battleaxe Tornado

Quote Marak RedIron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 3:57am
Europe would be nice but I doubt it this year, but Canada is doable...will see what the economy holds.
Saranna View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Saranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 4:00pm
I am going to the Northern Provinces of Ireland and then to the Isle of Man - all very Celtic, mythological and prehistoric.  Also I expect holiday visits from my daughter and her partner, then from my son and his family (wish I had room for all of them at once!) So I am looking ofrward to this July and August very much. Then early in the autumn I hope Jano and I will get together for our regular discussion of arcane and elevated topics, accompanied by the ritual consumption of Tiddy Oggies, in that mystic realm that borders Kernow and Dumnonia! LOL
Death comes to all
But great achievements raise a monument
Which shall endure until the sun grows cold.
- George Fabricius, 'In Praise of Georgius Agricola'
Miah View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Miah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 4:31pm
I'm taking my summer holidays in England this year and will be cavorting with my cohort, Tiana!Tongue 
Miah View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Miah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 3:27am
awww, bad news on my trip Cry I just found out today that I can't use my Airmiles to purchase half my ticket cuz I'm like 2000 miles short!! With peak season it will cost me approx $2000 Cdn and I was going to stay for 2weeks.Cry 
DrWho7Freak View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Time Traveller - Orc Forgiver

Quote DrWho7Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 10:23pm
I dream of going on a holiday ANYWHERE!  Even in my own country!
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2009 at 10:34pm
Hug Miah - I hope you won't have to postpone for too long?

Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote DrWho7Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 8:34pm
Yep, Miah.  Hope you can come and visit our fair isle with its lumps and bumps! And twisty windy roads.
Miah View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Miah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 9:20pm
Well, unfortunately I think I am going to pass on my plan to go to Europe this year Disapprove As I said earlier somewhere, I had anticipated using my airmiles to pay for at least half my ticket but I'm told I don't have enough airmiles for a round trip and they don't book one way tickets. So, if I had to choose again I'd have to go with "America", but say...is that North America, Central America or South America? It's a big continent! LOL
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote DrWho7Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 11:09pm

Why don't you write down all the states of America not including your own and close your eyes, pull one out of a hat and go to that state?

Dijon Mustarde View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Dijon Mustarde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 4:36am
I took my vacation in the spring so I don't think I'll be going anywhere this summer. But that's not bad because where I am in Canada is really nice in the summer...
Miah View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Miah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 5:24am
Originally posted by Fionesta

Why don't you write down all the states of America not including your own and close your eyes, pull one out of a hat and go to that state?

That's a good idea but the cashola situation is a tad stretched for even that LOL It will be in Canada somewhere, just haven't decided where yet Ermm... but at least I have it narrowed down!

I didn't know you were a Canuck, Dijion LOL And what part of the country do you deem is the best place to summer vacation, that is not too expensive and doesn't require the services of a ginormous RV?
Dijon Mustarde View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Dijon Mustarde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 5:32am
Most parts of Canada are nice in the summer.. where I am is beautiful and nice if you like lakes and oceans and such. Uuuummm... oh, have you ever been to Quebec? Montreal and Quebec City are pretty cool. I've been there once and thought it was the best thing ever. And I hear that places like Newfoundland, PEI, and those other East Coast provinces are really nice in the summer. I still need to visit there though. 

Though to be honest, in my town people (like me) don't really vacation that much or try out different places in Canada. Like, everyone goes camping about 10 miles from our town for vacation. It's a weird small town thing. LOL But yeah - lots of places are nice in Canada. I'm pretty bad at specifics though because usually on vacation it's traveling to some relatives or whatnot. 
Sivan Ilius View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer
Darkest of the Dark Lord's Minions

Quote Sivan Ilius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 3:47pm
I can't really vote for this one, as there is something deep within me that utterly abhors vacations! I suppose I am a workaholic ;)
Miah View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Miah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 5:17pm
British Columbia is a beautiful province to be sure, Dijion, and the fishing isn't too bad either. I've been to Banff and Jasper (in Alberta) many times and Vancouver and Victoria, so I won't bother revisiting those areas (besides, they are very touristy places) I'd love to go camping but these days, unless you have an RV to cook in you're hooped because of the fire bans. And camping without a campfire is definitely NOT camping.

I agree Sivan, in most cases anyway. If I could work during my two weeks off to make some money, I would! and I may still if I find something. But a vacation can be as simple as going places you've never been to before and learning something about it. I've never been too content to just sit for hours on end and doing nothing or following a bunch of other tourists LOL
Saranna View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Saranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 10:14pm
Hi I am back!  (What do you mean, you didn't realise I'd gone?) - Ireland was great and so ws the Isle of Man - not too keen on the tummy bug I caught, though, and neither was my other half when he got it after we came home :(
Death comes to all
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote DrWho7Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2009 at 10:56pm
That's horribleThumbs Down! Saranna - a lovely holiday ruined by an illnessDead.  Poor you!Unhappy
chris.ph View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote chris.ph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 7:12pm
not going anywhere this year job situation is to dodgyCry
measuring intellgence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
Miah View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Miah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 8:49pm
Hi Everyone! Im just stopping in to say I'm still sittin and chillin' (and gettin' fat on peaches) on a beach here in the Okanagan (British Columbia, Canada). Cool
Galen View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher
Teacher and Bard

Quote Galen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 12:47pm
No holiday for me either but am dreaming of one in Ireland...perhaps one day.
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 10:36am
When  I voted Europe, I meant the UK!Wink

Wherever you live, there's no better place to holiday than in your own country. You see so many things you didn't realise were there and you learn a lot about your own country that you didn't know existed!
Blod skal være min endelige prisen!
Alan View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 11:39am
 I cast my vote for America, I have always wanted to visit Seattle, the Dakotas and Minnesota

By Lady Caroline Lamb about Lord Byron, but suits me too "He's mad, bad, and dangerous to know."
Saranna View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Saranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 9:22am
This year I'm basically just visiting family, usually for some special event like my granddaughter's 21st next week - also just because I need the comfort of their support this year.

My plan for next year is to be brave and take my first holiday on my own, returning to Lewis in the Outer Hebrides where Andrew and I had several very happy holidays.  I feel it will be good to relax in those familiar places and that I'll find he's there with me too.
Death comes to all
Jano View Drop Down
Site Manager
Site Manager
alias author Jan Hawke

Quote Jano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 6:06pm
 Console's Saranna - v.g. idea hun. 

Seattle's kind of on my list too as I'd like to visit along that north Pacific coast from N. California up to Brit Columbia

For this year though I'm off to stay in Manchester for the 1st time (having never actually got off a train or out of the car there before en passant). We'll be staying at that hotel that was on t'Telly in '90's - the Palace Hotel which is hosting the International Discworld Convention with a steampunk theme this time around so should be v. atmospheric with t'railways featuring strongly LOL
Saranna View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Saranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 10:17am
Oooh - if you have any spare time, which I doubt, remember Guardian of the Beam ain't far off!  I remember that series on the hotel, became quite gripped by it.
Death comes to all
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2014 at 1:32pm
That's a wonderful idea, Saranna, and because you want to go you will have a lovely time.

I want to go there but there are standing stones and well,  me and standing stones... let's just say things happen... spooky things...
Alan View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 11:35am
 Talking of weird things happening, Dagrun. When I was staying with my late friend in Lac La Biche, I spotted two light beams -- on separate days -- the weird thing is they were straight and directly down. Usually a beam spreads as it goes from its source, these were like rulers. The beams shot straight down for only a second or two, by the time Faye turned to look, they had gone. We checked outside and there was nothing in the air which could have sent the beam.

By Lady Caroline Lamb about Lord Byron, but suits me too "He's mad, bad, and dangerous to know."
Dagrun View Drop Down
Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher

Quote Dagrun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 11:07am
Whatever it was do not knock it!
Fuin Elda View Drop Down
Dreamer
Dreamer

Quote Fuin Elda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 4:43am
I'll be heading to a place similar to where Dijon was talking about  earlier but not to camp but visit family...   IF I get to have a vacation... I need to get my house paid off before I can start vacationing.  and then the plan in New Zealand/Australia... because I might as well try to die young.  LOL
I'm looking at you through the glass
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>